HD TV questions...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, i know some of us must be knowledgeable about this thing...

i'm in a market for a new TV, my budget is around $1,000. i think i can stretch to $1,200... (btw, as cool as flat panels are, they are too expensive or too small, so please stick to CRT ones. i also hate projection, so those are out too...)

for now, i'm going to use it for regular analog cable/satellite TV and progressive-scan DVD/Playstation2. i don't have any plans to get digital cable/satellite or HD broadcasts just yet. (but TVs do last a while, so i want to think ahead...)

one thing i keep on hearing is that analog broadcasts don't look good on an HD TV. now, how "bad" is it? who's got real life experience on this issue? is it so bad that it's like watching VCR on a TV or just slightly worse than watching it on analog TV?

also, if anyone has real-life recommendation on TVs, brands, models, i'd appreciate it. right now, i'm thinking in this order:

1) 32" 4:3 HD-ready TV
    2) 30" 16:9 HD-ready widescreen TV

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My father-in-law has a new HD LCD Sony and the quality (of analog) is pretty good, but you can tell its analog. The TV tries to guess what's missing or something and edges (especially text) just don't look right. I think that overall it is entirely watchable, but i may have low expectations.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Ok, well, CRT is still your best bet. I like samsung, they have good upconvergence of 480i signals, and strong digital comb filters.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340598&skuId=6407854&type=product

You also may want a terrestrial HDTV receiver. They run about 300, but get all your local digital broadcasts free each month, in perfect quality.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

regular tv looks alright on HD tvs and it doesnt really bother me.... it still looks great although when your watching something in HD it sure makes something in anolog look like crap

"once you go HD you'll never want to go back"

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have a nearly identical setup and I too want a HDTV. Something like a Sony Wega 32"-36".
    Thanks for asking this question, seriously.

I'm kinda thinking that I need to wait until 2006 so I can ensure that I'll be getting my maximum on HDTV signals.

6. Cadence macrumors member

so sony!

you can pick up a 30" Sony HDTV Widescreen for $999. People have said High Def is sooo high in resolution that it picks up the imperfections in an analog signal. But like mentioned above, I think more than anything it's the bummer of switching back to analog after watching an awesome HD picture. Check your local companies to see how many HD channels are available. For me, watching football on HD and widescreen DVDs is enough for me to go wide!
    -b

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Actually, I've never had a HDTV, but I can see the crappy analog quality when I take a spin through Circuit City or Costco. It's party of the reason I've not skipped out on the wife and gotta one.. for now I let her think she's winning.

Ah.. if I could get DirectTV, NFL Sunday Ticket, TiVo, and HDTV before next Thursday....

8. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

thanks to you and all others with replies... yeah, the sony 30" widescreen is one of two i'm considering. the other is the sony 32" regular screen, which is also $999. (but i believe you can "squeeze" the screen to give it 16:9 with letterbox...)

the reason i'm leaning toward the 4:3 HDTV is because for the next few years, at least, i foresee the use of this TV to be 1) analog cable/satellite, 2) playstation2 games and then 3) DVD movies.

so i figured i'll spend majority of my time looking at the tv in 4:3 mode. plus 32" 4:3 squeezed down to 16:9 still gives a screen fairly comparable to 30" 16:9... but if i letterboxed the sides on the 30" 16:9, the resulting 4:3 screen is comparable to like 24" TV, i believe...

i think the sony models can handle 1080i, not sure about 720p. need to make sure of that. since it's HD, i think it can handle 480p - so DVD movie option is covered.

the other one i considered are the samsung models. but i think they come with HD tuners - something i don't think i'll use at this moment so i am not really liking paying for it now... there are some other chaper models from phillips and toshiba - anyone with experience on those?