HD upgrade for 12" PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nien0029, Feb 24, 2004.

1. nien0029 macrumors newbie

Has anyone had success in upgrading their PB's hard drive with one of the newer Hitachi/IBM 2.5" 7200RPM HDs? Any effect on battery life?

Having used a slower CPU and less memory iMac than my PowerBook, I have found the iMac much more responsive in loading programs and finding files which I believe mainly is due to the much faster HD speed. Anyone with comments, experiences or recommendations? Thanks!

2. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

Well, kinda.

It's a 12" iBook and a Fujitsu 5400RPM drive.

It was kind of a pain to do, but not that bad if you're comfortable disassembling things. I assume, of course, that the PB is similar in construction to the iBook.

I DID notice a speed increase after putting in the new drive. Unfortunately, I have no hard numbers on how MUCH faster it is... but at least on a non-scientific level, the machine FEELS faster.

newegg.com is where I got my drive, and they have good selection and prices.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i just did my ibook and it's friking hard

get somone more competent to do it if your not up to it

4. nien0029 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Souljas macrumors regular

did it make a big difference?????

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

nah i had to remove it and put it ain a 2.5"caddy to get my importent school work of it because my mobo failed (yes i tryed firewire target disk mode it did not work)

no upgrade for me i'm still in parent debt for my ipod