HD Video Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Deerhunter04, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Deerhunter04 macrumors member

I'm in the market for a good professional video camera and i was wondering what you guys used. I'd like it to be HD, 24P, 16:9 and record to miniDV or a hard drive. This will be used with FCP and Pro Tools for audio. My price range is probably something in the mid 4-digits.

We currently use a Canon GL2. I really love this camera, but with HD prices falling, it might be time to upgrade.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

IMO it's still too early to get a HD video camera. I would personally wait until Apple release a decent HD-DVD/BluRay creation solution

3. Deerhunter04 thread starter macrumors member

HD/Blu-Ray isn't a top priority for me. We'll be mailing out the promo video on DVD, since most people won't have a HD/Blu-Ray player. I would still like to keep my HD options open, depending on the price.

4. dgoss macrumors regular

For that use I wouldn't worry about the HD factor either. One camera though that is very interesting is the Panasonic AG-HVX200 - you might want to google it. It'll only record to tape in DV mode but the feature set in terms of 24P and formats, etc. is incredible for price (camera around $5,250, P2 memory cards $600-$1200 depending on capacity). The only way this camera is useful though is if you can deal with short recording times onto cards - ie, shooting "film" style with takes and setups, not ENG or documentary where you want 60min tapes.

Anyway, worth a Google if not just to keep up on where things are headed...

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

A viable option today is to create HD DVD-Rs created with DVD Studio Pro 4 to play back with Apple DVD Player (in OS X Tiger) on any G5 or Intel Mac, or any HD-DVD player.

Another option is playback of the mpeg2 transport stream with the IOdata Avelink Plus Player (a relabeled version of which JVC also sells).

Yet another option is D-VHS, with players from Mitsubishi and JVC.

Then there are those external hard drive enclosures which will play back high definition DivX and mpeg4 files. A pocket size version along the same lines is the LaCie SilverScreen. The component octopus cable needed to connect it to an HDTV set would probably not fit in your pocket though.

6. dgoss macrumors regular

Rod Rod, you presented some good options for an industrial display or presentation. But he mentioned this is for a promo mailer - lowest common denominator (or 99% denominator) dictates SD DVD.

I agree with original poster that it might not be the worst idea to buy into an HD camera in case his company did, for instance, want to project something in HD at a trade show.

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yup you're right. I guess I responded to his/her first post without taking into account the subsequent one. The "waiting for BR/HD-DVD issue to shake out" got me started. :)

I really like the idea of having a trade show or other corporate-use high definition version. Conference rooms tend to have beautiful plasma and LCD monitors. However, the monitors tend to have junky looking SD on them most if not all of the time.

8. dgoss macrumors regular

Yeah, that'd be nice. Plus it fits perfectly with your suggestions as it'd be a custom install of sorts.

9. Lebowski macrumors 6502

agreed.

while i am ALL on board for all HD content someday soon... i think there are a few more bugs to iron out so to speak.

SD is the standard now, and therefor the most compatable.

I would stick with the GL2 for a bit longer, but that is just me.

10. Deerhunter04 thread starter macrumors member

This is definitely something that could happen, even by next year. Even if we had to bring out own HD projector, the ability to support that would be very nice.

Thanks for the camera recommendation. I'll definitely check it out.

11. Deerhunter04 thread starter macrumors member

I've been doing a ton of research on HD video cameras and i have a question on the P2 cards. A lot of people are saying that you can only record HD onto a P2 (or hard drive) with the Panasonic AG-HVX200. Is that true? If you take a look at the Canon XL-H1, which doesn't have anything like the P2, will that record HD onto the miniDV tape?

Thanks again for all your help.

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The HVX200 is the best option right now for most prosumers wanting HD. Yes, you have to record to the expensive P2 cards in order to use the better codecs. The XL-H1 from Canon isn't a very good option considering that they are releasing their new XH-A1 (much better camera) very soon. However, these shoot with HDV which is a highly compressed format. HVX200 outputs the best video quality in that price range.

I wish I could afford one, but I have a DVX100B and am very happy with SD.

13. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

14. Deerhunter04 thread starter macrumors member

I can, but not that much...

It looks like an awesome camera...but just a tad out of my price range.. :)

15. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Im sure you've seen sony's HDR-FX1

It's a magnificant camera, well worth the money, best HD camera for it's price, and performs better in low light that other HD camcorders..

No 24p, but this is an overrated feature that can be simulated if need.

Hey, its only $3700..................

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

24p is not the only feature of the HVX is not the only feature that gives it's video a more film look to it.

the FX1 is still an HDV cam which is even more compressed than standard def DV (same data rate, but for a much larger picture)...the HVX allows you this option plus the ability to capture with better compression schemes if that is what you want.

the HVX is the most feature rich HD camera in this price range and can be bought from legitimate stores for just under $5k.

17. funwithstuff macrumors newbie

If you want 24P, you might want to consider the Sony HVRZ1P. Shoots 25P (ie. PAL frame rate) in HDV and is apparently great. New, too, in your price range. This website list Australian prices of about $7000, about US$4500.

http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=238&curPage=2&sortField=description

18. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

If you go Sony HDV , look into the HVR-V1U (high res imager, true 24P, HDV codec maybe not as good as DVC PRO HD):

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-Introduces-HVR-V1U-and-HDD-Unit-in-US.htm

If you go Panasonic AG-HVX200 (better codec, 24P, lower res imager), you'd probably want a FireStore HDD recorder for HD instead of using P2 cards.

Either should be a fine HD camcorder for the $$.

Personally, I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. That, and I don't have the coin... :(

19. SRSound macrumors 6502

If it's any help I've read wonderful reviews of the JVC GY-HD110U HDV w/ 16x Fujinon. Just out of curiousity, how will you be linking pro tools? Are you going to use the Avid video toolkit option?

EDIT: Wow, that RED camera looks amazing...

20. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd say the HVX + P2 is the only "real" option for shooting HD. Only weakness is the relatively low line count of its CCD. I'm hoping a "version 2" will be released with a slightly more sensitive chip. But being able to shoot DVCPRO/HD in 24, 30, or 60 in 720p? Hell yes. Way better than HDV. I've composited onto footage shot with the HVX onto P2 using DVCPRO/HD, the stuff really looks amazing, WAY better than DV when you shrink down to DVD resolutions. I'd say go for it, especially if you have some way to save off the P2 cards in the field (PowerBook, since they're PCMCIA-sized cards, not ExpressCards). Just get an 8GB one for the longer takes and a couple 4GB ones for the shorter stuff, swap 'em out when needed and just copy the stuff off onto the PowerBook's HD.

21. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Though I like Panasonic's DVCPro HD over HDV for many reasons, Canon's A1 is a remarkable camera from all the footage I've seen.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79344 checkout other work by this poster, Noel Evans. She shoots at 1080 / 24F.

22. moajdev macrumors newbie

HD Camera

Im in the Media Production program at the college I go to and I really like the Sony Z1U. It's a professional video camera and it looks and works great.

23. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

Panasonic AG-HVX200 is industry standard NOW. It wil get you the most jobs and be requested by the most clients. A fantastic camera.

The ONE problem that I have had with the PANASONIC has been with the focus and zoom rings.. They are EXPOSED... They do not handle the elements very well. UNLIKE the SONY, the zoom ring actual moves in when using the servos.. taking in a lot dust and moisture. I have done a lot of filming throughout Africa and South America. After every trip, the camera suffers major ring fatigue. Panasonic will not cover this under their warranty.. I was lucky and found a guy in LA that fixed it under warranty.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...410&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

a great camera

24. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Any way you could provide his contact info? I had plenty of trouble simply finding someone who would work on my DVX, let alone cover such a repair under warranty.