HD vs. SD on the Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, May 9, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

who the hell cares about HD? as long as the graphics don't look like poop... i honestly don't really see a difference between the 2. do any of you? to me, it's a way of not needing to buy a thousand+ dollar tv.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm happy with or without it. Nintendo made 1 thing clear; it's all about the input.

3. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

HD would be nice... for mario games and such there probably isnt that much of a difference though.. but yes, HD is quite different and definitely noticeable from SD. but for video games, it isn't THAT important, but definitely desirable to me.

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yes, I do and I do care about HD.

Consider for a moment that technology moves foward, not backwards. HDTV adoption rates are hovering in the 20% range at the moment and will only increase. Considering consoles have a 5 year lifecycle, would you consider it short-sighted to create a console that will not support HD that will be widly adopted (well over 50%) within 5 years?

I do.

You're focused on today. Many of us are focused on tomorrow and beyond.

5. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Hello,

I'm focused on today and the future. I know that today, and in the future, I will have no patience for 30 second, 45 second, or a minute in loading timed for games. I want to play, I don't want to stare at loading screens. The load times for games on XBOX 360 is ridiculous.

Give me 16x9 and 480p with the Wii and I will be very happy if Nintendo comes through on their no loading promise.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Why?...
    [​IMG]

You don't see a difference?

Attached Files:

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Awesome! :D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hmm. I'd take 480p Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Red Steel, Disaster Survival thingy anyday over MGS :) I think I had enough of that after MGS1. 2 disappointed blah blah but this is all another story.

Infact I'd take Metroid Prime 3 in 480p over a 360 and it's entire catalogue of games in 1080i. frankly. It's all about what you want. 20" 480p is fine with me. If you're telling me it's not fine for me then go get your head checked over. I've seen 720p footage on my screen. It's ok. I don't notice it when I'm actually playing a game.

Funny how people can't grasp that. I'll happily watch 720p videos, 1080i whatever. but I'm happy with what ive got thank you very much.

Anything else I should like/dislike, oh overlords?

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

red steel looks positively awful it would take me 2 seconds to pick any of the metal gears over that...

heres the thing graphics matter not just for better looks but because graphical ability translates into numerous gameplay uses... graphics allow for the creation of a more realistic enviroment that is highly imersive graphical clues and animations can be used to relay imformation without pulling you out of the game with flashing lights or anoying huds... things like draw distance which i find hugely important to most all the games i play come from resolution and graphical power (I dislike dungeon crawlers far cry, bf2 etc... are more my style). tiny details are what create a imersing and interesting enviroment and tiny details can only be presented when the resolution is high enough to show them. So yes in my opinion HD matters quite alot.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's funny. I thought it looked good? I saw bloom lighting, no polygons, realistic animation, beautiful textures, realistic pace *barring the bullet time thing*. I just hope they have an option to take away the crosshair or add some smoothing system in, if you look at the trailer it wobbles a bit. Even if you see a closeup of the players hand *rooftop battle, sword gets close to camera* you can play a lengthy game of spot the polygons. can't see any on my end. smooth. and extremely well lit.
    seen the trailer a fair few times now.
    So if it's graphics you want then get another system? Frankly, I just want that controller and that level of interaction.

EDIT: seems you edited. Immersion? You want to read what the Time reporter said about the Wii. No, go look now. It's somewhere on this forum. Better still go ask him about immersion. Immersion is not pushing sticks about to look in a different direction. that destroys immersion.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Woah there. I have an HDTV and it's awesome, but not that awesome.

Lets see, 480p (DVD, Wii) = 852*480
    720p (seems like the best choice for games, high motion, so progressive > interlaced) = 1280*720

So, this is more accurate (BTW, yes, there IS a difference there... the upper left is 480p resolution, lower right is 720p :p). Sure, there's a difference, but not that big of one, to be honest.

I'll agree Red Steel looks lame. TERRIBLE art direction is the problem there. Technically, it looks OK, though.

Attached Files:

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. I'm sick of interlaced, I went progressive with my EyeTV back in January and I can't go back to interlaced. its just too slow for the things I watch. on my mates 360 I always play on 720p rather than 1080i.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Oh please....MGS over red steel...now thats a laugh. HD is awesome but does not really matter to me since i dont have one.:)

Gears of War Vs. Resistence

Bless

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Am I hearing this correctly, people are actually content with 480p? PS2 had this since it's release in 2000. I know, I know, "it's not about the graphics", but this is extremely outdated technology.

15. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

yeh interlacing is definately a step backwards. when everything is 1080p i'll buy an hdtv. until then, jog on.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some might say using the same storage medium is outdated, or taking out rumble from a controller *no more heart beat monitor on MGS :( *

That's what I'm waiting for too. Apparently theres not enough bandwidth to deliver 1080p TV just yet. so I'm skipping 720p, which will be "outdated technology" soon as 1080p starts coming our way.

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Some might, some might not. But there is no denying that 480p is outdated.

18. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

it's a sad fact that graphics sell games, always have done, always will. it's the simplest way of communicating to the consumer. pretty = better. better = desire. there's no point saying graphics add nothing to gameplay because it's simply not true. however, how often do you really stop to admire your surroundings? games are about play. nintendo knows this but is going to have a hard time selling their system this way, because it's harder to communicate the experience to the target market. none of the next-gen consoles have really blown me away. don't get me wrong, i love wii but was kind of hoping for more. but then i realised, i don't care what the system is or how pretty it is, just as long as it works. it's the games that matter and if the games are awesome i'm going to want to play it.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's only outdated if you haven't used it. If a guy was locked in a cave for the past 30 years and he plays a GB he's going to love it and not think it's outdated. all about exposure. And in the UK - I put a rough estimate of people watching 480i TV at 99.9999%. I've had the pleasure or using 480p and I find it a godsend. No resolution change, just the smoothness. oh and the sharpness the image brings.

funny this should happen today, but I was trying to get on my desktop PC to play a little HL2. only my mum was sat watching Flog It (or something) on the PC's digital TV. she was commenting that the image looked much sharper than what our TV can do. I noticed it too. going from 480i CRT to 480p LCD (with a PC/Mac to process the image) is just unbelievable. Have a look for my first impressions of EyeTV on the forum. I could watch all my fave shows on the big TV downstairs or in my room on my 20" 480p EyeTV. It's more often than not the 20" that gets my vote.

What I'm getting at is 480p is new in the UK. it's just the way the UK is, pretty backwards where TV's are concerned. but nonetheless. with EDTV's selling a fair bit over here and more monitors are being bought, people are going to smile at fluidity. then in another 5 years when about 50% of the UK has a HDTV then the Wii 2 will cater for that no doubt.

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

For games? Ya 480p ain't bad for gaming, imo, as long as you aren't right in front of the display (like you are with a computer) it's adequate. Is HD better? Of course; required? Not so much.

For movies, where the ONLY interaction with the media is what you are seeing and hearing, HD is huge. Watching sports: same thing... it's a whole new experience. Games, though, there's more going on... you're INVOLVED. A good game and you are THINKING about what YOU'RE DOING, so the watching part has less effect and importance.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've never used a Gutenberg printing press. I guess that's not outdated either. :rolleyes:

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow talk about taking that the wrong way. You don't grasp the point that 480p is new in the UK. the US might be used to it, but it's still an improvement over what us brits are used too.

it's like say the US never had any printed documents. they didn't know or experience the outside world from America. then suddenly someone drops a Gutenberg press from the skies. With no press currently around wouldn't you be happy? Line from a James song "If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor" sorta comes to mind.

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

IMO, HD while gaming leads to a feeling of being in the game rather than just playing it. I think it is very important. I love my PS2, but is extremely hard to play Madden anymore since I played it on the 360.

24. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But the Wii (I really do like that name) isn't being designed for the UK. It's being designed for the whole world.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know, but I'm talking about this from MY viewpoint. not the shareholders or somebody else's, as seems to be the way of the internet. I'm being selfish and saying ME. It's a huge leap over the 480i Xbox and Gamecube I own.