HD ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by buzzfgo, Sep 23, 2004.

1. buzzfgo macrumors member

Sep 9, 2004
    Up State NY
    The hard drive in my emac died. It was a 160gig seagate. Seagates have in the past been pretty good for me, but that seems to have died as well. What would you guys say would be the best HD replacement I should buy?
  2. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    Make sure it's broken first, check the cabling, etc.

If it is, I'd imagine it was a heat problem, or just a fluke. As it seems like a new drive, perhaps it is still covered under warranty.

If not, look into the heat specs of the next drive you buy. I'd recommend another seagate or Western Digital.

http://www.newegg.com is my favorite vendor
  3. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    I recommend looking at http://eshop.macsales.com

I use a 60 gig IBM drive in my beige g3 and it is running flawlessly, i love it. I would definitly recommened IBM/hitachi and seagate over any other manufacturers anydays.
  4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I would advise that whatever you replace it with, avoid a Maxtor as I have read horror stories on this board and heard from other sources about how lousy they are. I have one in my PM, but it hasn't been used for very long, so I am unable to advise based on personal use. However, I have had good luck with IBM drives, so I don't think that you can go wrong there. But hey, all mechanical things are capable of having or developing defects, whatever you buy ;)
  5. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    the ibook g3 is a perfect example :p
  6. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    You'll find horror stories for any type of drive - everyone's had a bad experience with one brand or another. Me, I won't ever buy another Western Digital (except maybe one of their Raptor brand) after 2 of them died on me in 3 years. I'm also wary of IBM after the "DeathStar" incident where I lost a 1 year old 40GB DeskStar drive (my older 30GB DeskStar is still running okay though). Maxtor works well for me in my PC and I bought a Samsung 160GB SATA drive for my PowerMac -- very nice and VERY affordable.