HDCP Mac Graphic Cards...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patch^, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Patch^ macrumors regular

I wanted to know if any of the Mac graphic cards are HDCP? More in particular if you know that the ATi 9650 or any AGP card for the PowerMac G5 is.

I am getting a monitor with HDCP so if I wanted to I could view HD Content (I think).

Any informaion would be greatly appreciated

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

none are today. There's also been some backtracking by hollywood on this issue due to takeup concerns. It's possible that when a Mac Pro gets a blue-ray drive you'll be able to send protected HD content out over DVI. No-one knows for sure right now except to say that none or the current cards support HDCP and all current cards are DVI.

3. Patch^ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply :) . I'll look into it some more :cool:

4. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Well, Apple could choose to ignore HDCP and not implement it in the OS....which would allow the content to play at full resolution on any device we damn well please. :D

Not sure if that'll happen though...

5. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

There is no way to watch HDCP-protected content on a Mac right now... You are stuck with non-HDCP HDTV. So you could watch over-the-air HDTV and unencrypted HDTV over QAM cable, but none of the premium channels, and no HD-DVD or Blu-ray through your Mac.

6. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

There's no way to ignore HDCP, it's an encryption protocol. Its purpose is to protect content from beginning to end - from the time it leaves the editing/production process to the time it appears on your display. Some hacker could build a software decoder, but they would go to jail if they ever set foot in the U.S. Apple can't build a decoder, they can only build the necessary infrastructure to allow the encrypted streams to pass through the OS and out the graphics card (HDCP content enters and leaves the computer encrypted).

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've seen DVI->HDMI cables for HDTV and I think i've also seen DVI->HDCP cables but they only work in one way to avoid being able to copy HDCP content.

I can't imagine Apple getting involved for a while until legal issues are clear.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Even the success of a home brew decoder is sketchy, IMO, since the HDCP encryption can be modified by code embedded in software updates, HDTV transmissions, and Hi Def DVDs.

Lethal

9. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

The OS still has to handle the encryption and enforce the downscaling of the content, etc. (ex. a low res copy is not on the disk, the content is simply down-sampled)...so OSX could just NOT down-sample the content and pass the full res picture onto the output device without even checking. The only thing stopping someone from doing this is "the law," but there's no technical reason why it can't be done. As far as the laws are concerned...that's for a different discussion...

10. Patch^ thread starter macrumors regular

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you recall the Core Duo iMacs and MBPs were originally touted as supporting HDCP passthrough, but this was soon removed as a feature from their respective pages. It was also clarified shortly tehreafter that although the ATI chipsets used were planned to be HDCP compatible, the software implementation wasn't ready for prime time....

Since HDMI and HDCP are closely related, my guess is that we won't see HDCP supported until we see a Mac with an HDMI port.... (Or at least a mini-DVI+optical to HDMI cable).

B