hdd crash..help with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve jr., Aug 25, 2005.

1. steve jr. macrumors 6502

OK. Long story short, my hard drive crashed and 4 years of stuff is gone with the wind, including my iTunes songs. So here's what I am curious to know. For one, I didn't have all of the songs in iTunes on my iPod. So what do I need to do? Some were purchased and others were not. The ones that were not I have on cd's. But what do I do about the ones that I purchased? My second question is how do I get the songs off of my iPod before the automatic update clicks in and takes all of the songs off of the pod? my friend plugged his cousins mini into his computer that had no songs in the library at all, and all 500 songs that she had on her iPod were taken off. I know how to get to the songs through the hidden folder (i have xp). any suggestions? thanks. - Steve

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, we don't have iTMS in Australia so I'm not sure about getting purchased music back. However, when you next plug the iPod into the PC, it should ask if you want to sync libraries. Make sure you don't let it. Then, go to Explorer, enable View Hidden Files from the Tools menu (I think, it's been a while). Then, go to your iPod in Explorer through My Computer and drag the songs from there onto your hard drive, then into iTunes. I recommend no dragging them directly to iTunes because, whilst it should work, it generally crashes the PC.

If the iPod doesn't appear in Explorer, go to the iTunes preferences and under the iPod tab, Enable Disk Usage. :)

Good luck with the purchased songs.

3. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

click check for purchased music. That will dl your music for your account. You can get Senuti (versiontraker.com) to get the songs off of your iPod + proper meta data (playcount, albums, ratings, etc..)
    Hope this helps
    -Ted

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not on XP you can't. This is one of the few areas XP is actually easier to use than OSX. You just have to drag the hidden files from the iPod having set Explorer to show them in the first place. :)