HDD musical chairs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thumb, Jun 16, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    hi macfans,

a couple of hard drive switching questions:

1) my hope was to buy a new duo mini base config (add RAM myself of course) and pull out the 80 GB HDD for a 120GB 5400rpm, put the 80 into my tibook, take the 40 there and put it into a digimate type flash card reader for my portable digital lifestyle.

However, am I now correct in assuming the SATA drive from the mini will not work on my .867 GHZ tibook using Ultra ATA? any chance?

2) if not 1) above, then adding an external drive to the mini via firewire. it seems you can get a 320GB ugly external for about $170 or the 320GB ministack for $209 (which also adds some ports). Is the mini stack user upgradeable to a larger drive later in life? is the speed of it vs. a different external about the same. will i really need more ports?!? (I know, only I can answer that last one depending on how i use it - the extra firewire seems nice).

Thanks for looking.
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    You can buy the MiniStack without a drive, so yes you should be able to put any compatible PATA drive in it http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/FWU2MSV2/

It's highly doubftful that you could shoehorn a SATA to PATA adapter into your TiBook.... (Or the reverse in the Mini).