HDD Spindle Speed in eMac (160GB)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ryan42, Jul 4, 2004.

1. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

What's the spindle speed in the eMac's hard disk. The 160 specificly. It doesn't say on Apple's site... so I thought I'd ask.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's almost undoubtedly 7200RPM at that capacity.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I don't know if thats so true... even the old iMacs (CRT) which had whopping 60GB drives were 5400rpm drives. Many of the larger drives are made in 5400rpm and 7200rpm versions, heck, the 300GB versions are only 5400rpm right now, so... ask an Apple tech :D

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Quick update... even the Apple Developer information does not give the spindle speed, but FYI, the hard drive is configured as cable select :rolleyes: You would think Apple would give a simple rpm speed when they tell you something as useless as the jumper setting on the drive.

5. ryan42 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryan42

ROFL. You've gotta wonder. I actually prefer that they be set to a proper master and slave but I guess I can live with it. :rolleyes: I wonder if any eMac user wants to risk their life to bare CRT terminals to tell me the drive speed or model of their drive? ;)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, if anyone has an eMac with the 160GB drive, they could just use Disk Utility to get the model number. Not as fun, but faster.

And I can't find a 160GB Ultra ATA that's anything other than 7200 RPM online. Granted, I only looked for a few minutes. But that size Ultra ATA always seems to be 7200 RPM.

7. ryan42 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryan42

so.. if anyone wants to run disk utility on their 160 gb imac and tell me the model number of the drive... :)