Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I recently upgraded my iBook G4 hard drive to a 160G, and took out the old 30G drive and put it into a Transcend Storejet 2.5" external case.
It was working fine, but today when I plugged it in it started spinning as usual, then stopped after ~9 seconds. It started spinning again straight away, but every 9 seconds it stops and restarts.
It still seems to be working fine (in terms of writing/reading) but makes a lot of noise and I'm afraid that the stopping/starting isn't good for it. I tried unplugging it and tried it on a different computer as well with no luck.
Any ideas about what might be causing this or what might fix it would be awesome!

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
you're talking about the 30gig, right? when hard drives start making alot of unusual noises, it's soon the end! you should run a hardware SMART test on it

amc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Yep, its the 30gig I was talking about. Strange though - I was having the spinning/stopping problem when using the HDD with old G3 (yes OLD!!) power pc's at my university, but at home on my iBook it's spinning fine...
Could this be a problem with the power supply through the USB being insufficient? Or being connected to the older computer? I tried to check the SMART status but it says that it's "not supported". Is there another way for me to check if the HDD is okay?
Thanks for the help!

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
so, is the problem only when the hd is inside the external case?? then it might be compatibilty problem between the case and the old hd? although i can't understand why :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.