HDD Upgrading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tj2001, Oct 5, 2006.

1. tj2001 macrumors regular

I have 4 bays in my Dual G4 and initially had one 80GB for the OS and Apps and two 120GBs for music and misc data. I purchased two 300GBs to replace the 120GBs. The 300GBs are installed in their RAID 0 just how I wanted; but the method I planned on using to move all data already on the 120GBs to the 300GBs is not working. I have an old Maxtor Firewire enclosure that I removed the 40GB out of and put in one of the 120GBs drives in and when I plug it in it never mounts and DU never sees it.

Then I tried to utilize my 4th bay on the IDE cable with my 80GB with the main drive. I hooked the 120GB up as Cable Select then booted... I waited about 10-15mins and all I got was a gray screen with the "NO - Circle Crossed-Out" sign. I unhooked the 120GB and reset the PMU and PRAM. Finally, I'm booted back up fine, but need a solution to get this data from the old 120GB onto the new 300GB RAID hooked up.

I was wondering do some Firewire enclosures have any limits on what size drive they can mount??? What can I do here?
    Thank you and please help.

2. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

New... Long, Plan

Okay I devised another approach to accomplishing this task:
    I removed the two 300GB and put back in the two 120GB drives.
    I took one of the 300GB and plopped it in the FW to make an extra safe clone of the data on the 120GB for preparation for next step. Then I'm going to remove the 300Gb from the FW and then Delete the RAID Set of the two 120GB. After that daunting task (hence why I wanted another drive with the data too), I am going to pop one of the 120Gb in the FW again and if it doesn't just mount with the data intact I am going to erase it and re-copy the data from the stand alone 120GB in the tower. From there I will then put both 300GB back in and build the new RAID Set again; finally re-copying the data from the FW with the 120GB onto the 300GB.

Very very dull and boring task of moving all this data, but hey... I'm very protective of my files especially after losing a single drive of my stuff.

3. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

All is Well

Just an update if anyone cares... the last post listed my exact steps on how I tackled this problem of safely moving data; it was very tedious but worked quite safely!