HDMI and iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 1stBowman, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2012
    On the 2012 iMacs (ordered a 27") what would I need to connect an HDMI device say AppleTV to an iMac?

The reason I am asking is that I subscribe to the Major League Baseball package. Watching on the PS3 is the best, followed by the iPad, followed by AppleTV, and last watching on the computer.

In the room where the iMac will be there is no tv and since my wife likes to use the iPad and the kids busy on the PS3, I was hoping to hookup AppleTV to the iMac in order to watch baseball (I am aware that the season doesn't star until April....can't wait).

Is it possible?

2. macrumors member

Jun 17, 2006
    Not possible, the iMac cannot be used as an input for other sources.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2011
    Land of eternal Spring
    It's not possible, you can only connect thunderbolt devices to use the 2011,2012 iMacs in target display mode.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2011
    what? are you people saying i couldn't stream from an imac to my Apple TV?
  5. macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2010
    Maryland US
    You could always buy a USB 3 HDMI capture card and use that to stream to the iMac. Since your not planing on doing anything other then watching tv you wouldn't haft to worry about any input lag that may occur.
  6. macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2012
    You can watch baseball in HD on your Mac through a web browser. Just make sure you install the MLB HiDef app to get the best quality. It's at least as good as ATV imo. Also, you can watch up to 4 games at once.
  7. macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2008
    No. Using airplay u can stream to Apple TV. OP is asking the other way around
  8. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2011
    Thats not what the op asked.
    The question was can you go from apple tv --> iMac. The answer is no.
    You are talking about airplay mirroring which is imac --> apple tv which is perfectly possible.
    And I got ninjaed.
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2012
    4 games at once...nice. I'll check it out...thanks.