Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Monoprice.com ... I got a 25' DVI -> HDMI for like $15 and 6' HDMI cables for like $6.

Don't pay more then $10 for HDMI cables, anything else you are throwing money away. There is *NO* difference in those cables, its all digital.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Just as a tip, unless there's an HDCP requirement in play, don't automatically rule out component connections without trying them first. HDMI was not invented to provide better picture quality. It was invented to allow for copy-protected interlinks between devices. That expensive HDMI cable benefits the MPAA, not you, and believe it or not depending on the devices involved you can in some cases get a more satisfactory result using component cables.

That said, everybody who has told you that high-priced cables are BS is spot on. Audiophiles are notoriously superstitious, every bit as bad as crystal-wavers and homeopathic medicine believers. Overpriced cables are just the beginning of the hocus-pocus sold to the naive, the most seemingly plausible initial step into a world full of placebos and "emperor's new clothes" effects that cannot withstand even the most basic rigorous examination.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Is there such a thing as a non-HDCP compliant HDMI cable? I've just tried watching an HD movie on the Apple TV and it says the connection doesn't support HDCP. My TV (Toshiba 32WLT68) apparently does support HDCP according to a google search, although I cannot find anything in the manual that mentions it. My HDMI cable was a really cheap one purchased from an ebay seller - I opted for cheap having previously read the comments such as those in this thread that suggested quality was irrelevant.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I concur.

Monoprice.com

I have two 6-foot HDMI cables I got there for about $10 each and they work great. One is hooked up to my Apple TV, the other to my HD cable box.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Another vote for monoprice.com - their prices SLAY the competition.

Just bought a pci raid card from them and it was a very good deal too.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
HDMI prices in stores are crazy high. Can't remember where I bought mine but they were like $10-20 for varying lengths from like 1m to 3m. Very nice quality. Even have the little magnets. Google HDMI cables and you can find them easy enough.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Digital signals are far less prone to degradation than analogue signals, and even the world's best musicians/producers or the world's 'best audiophiles' would NOT be able to tell the difference between a pair of £20 speaker cables, and a pair of £20,000 speaker cables (which do exist).

While I agree to some extent ... a cheap digital cable will do far more damage then a cheap analog cable.

Why? Simple really ... any distortion in a digital cable will result in a loss of information. Ever see your digital cable/satellite hiccup? That is digital distortion.

Cheap digital cables will do this over the short distance although it can be avoided with decent cables (monoprice/bluejean are some of whom who offer decent cables for cheap).

Toslink is usually more prone to distortion then HDMI (Usually because manufactures skip out and use very cheap opaque plastics) but long run HDMI will degrade if you use very bad cables.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
While I agree to some extent ... a cheap digital cable will do far more damage then a cheap analog cable.

Why? Simple really ... any distortion in a digital cable will result in a loss of information. Ever see your digital cable/satellite hiccup? That is digital distortion.

Cheap digital cables will do this over the short distance although it can be avoided with decent cables (monoprice/bluejean are some of whom who offer decent cables for cheap).

Toslink is usually more prone to distortion then HDMI (Usually because manufactures skip out and use very cheap opaque plastics) but long run HDMI will degrade if you use very bad cables.

I always thought one's were one's and zero's were zero's. Not sure how a "cheap opaque plastic" is going to make a one a zero.

jshdarkblue

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Idiots at Stereophile

Digital transmission is digital transmission. At the lengths of cable you'd be involving in a home system there is no concern of signal degradation regardless of how cheap or how expensive an HDMI cable you use. Just about any HDMI cable will do.

Correct on the first part. Slightly incorrect on the second part. There's a lot of cable BS involved in the analog world. Basic interconnect and speaker cabling performs just fine under most conditions... nothing fancy required, despite what the idiots at Stereophile magazine have to say about it.

When you are connecting a true high end/high resolution audio system, I know you can easily hear the the difference between cheap and at least some "expensive" cables(obviously I have not heard them all nor can I afford to purchase most) . I realize that cables are just resistance, capacitance and inductance, but I do know that Kimber 4TC and Home Depot type 14g speaker cable sound different on my system, and the Kimber sounds better. Same thing for MIT interconnects versus the standard cheap interconncects. I can assure you that in this regard, the people at Stereophile are not idiots. On the other hand, I cannot see or hear any difference betweem Monoprice HDMI cables and Monster HDMI cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.