Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
It seems portable hdmi to vga adapters which work fine with atv2 and atv3 don't draw enough power from the hdmi port on the atv4 to work properly.

My solution is to use a much older powered hdmi to vga converter instead. This works fine with the atv4.

But I think it is rather odd that I have to revert to older technology in order to get hdmi to vga to work with the atv4.

Hopefully newer portable adapters will be made soon to work with the atv4. I much prefer portable ones to powered ones.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
It seems portable hdmi to vga adapters which work fine with atv2 and atv3 don't draw enough power from the hdmi port on the atv4 to work properly.

My solution is to use a much older powered hdmi to vga converter instead. This works fine with the atv4.

But I think it is rather odd that I have to revert to older technology in order to get hdmi to vga to work with the atv4.

Hopefully newer portable adapters will be made soon to work with the atv4. I much prefer portable ones to powered ones.

Such adapters at now available, but they still need to be powered. I bought a Kanex one from apple which is powered via micro usb: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...dapter-with-audio-for-apple-tv-4th-generation

It is still much lighter than the old bulky converters though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.