Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Hi all,
I have a Samsung LE26BDRX LCD TV and I am connecting my mac mini to it.
I bought a Belkin DVI to HDMI lead and was plaaning touse that however the picture through it is poor at best. It is blurry and changing the resolution through the mac and through DisplayConfigX does nothing to sharpen it up.
Through the VGA adapter the picture is crisp and clear but I keep reading that HDMI is much better because it is digital quality.
I was wondering if anyone knew how I could set up the mac or TV to work with the DVI to HDMI lead or where I might be going wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Will

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
there should be options on the TV ad by default it expects HDMI to be all HDCP encoded from a HD-dvd player or whatever, so a setting needs changeing on the tv to support a DVI signal through HDMI.

WillBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll try that out when I get home tonight.
Will

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I settled on VGA and it works fine. HDMI was problematic for screen resolution and in the end I need that port for an upscaling dvd player

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
How well do the upscaling DVD players work? Can you tell much of a difference?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Chundles said:

I hear they are an improvement that is noticable. They are geared to doing the best they can with format rather than relying on the TV electronics. I expect to see a signficant improvement over my xbox and PB.

There is a thread going here about them http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7596371#post7596371

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Chundles said:
Depends on many factors:

1) Quality of your set
2) The source material (anamorphic DVD, etc)
3) Your connection type (component, DVI, HDMI preferred)
4) Your set's native resolution

The first two are pretty easy to understand: garbage in, garbage out. Presuming you have a good set and good source material, then it's down to the connection. Upscaled content on component can look good, depending on your set's native resolution. If you scale a 480p DVD to 1080i to your set with a 720p native resolution then you're scaling the image twice. That's bad.

Also, finally, not all upscaling DVD players are equal. Personally I have the Panny S97 and use HDMI all the way through to my set at 1080i. It's very nice.

Many people like the Onyko player.

And here's the thread you want on the AVS Forums. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.