HDMI vs Component

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, May 20, 2006.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

So we just got a new 50" Philips TV and Im trying to decide to either go: a) Component with optical audio or, b) HDMI (which carries both audio and video). Note this is for our Dish Network receiver.

I've read a lot on both but I know I can trust you guys. Help!

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As far as I can tell through my experimenting, HDMI is no better or worse than component video + optical audio. HDMI cables are definitely more expensive.

You might want to keep your HDMI port free for if/when you get an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

In my experience (at work @ CCity of course) I find that GOOD component cables (such as monster video 2's) offer little to no benefit over an HDMI/DVI connection.

I can, however, see a difference between the belkin pureAV and monster video 1's and HDMI.

But like said, you can buy an hdmi/DVI cable and use it in the future with blu-ray.

4. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Aren't the cables ridiculously expensive though?

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Monster Cable is, but...

I've read tests that come to the conclusion that an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable...since it is all digital, there is no loss like in component cables which are analogue.

To be honest, we can't tell the difference between the cheapo HDMI cable that came with a DVD player and a $150 monster cable.

6. ToddW macrumors 6502a

use component for your dish. go buy you a role of RG-6 Quad Shield and some RCA compression connectors and make your own cables. Custom cut and terminate your cables with a compressions style crimper and your good to go. In the long run that will be your best bet and higher quality then the overpriced cables they sell at retail. That is how the pros and engineers do it. I get 1080i through component on my upconversion dvd player as well as hd direcTV.