HDR camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bid2ask77, Dec 3, 2010.

Do you like the HDR feature on Iphone 4

1. Yes: I Love It

60 vote(s)
  2. No: I Have No Use For It

12 vote(s)
  1. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    New York
    How many people really use the HDR camera feature on there Iphone 4. What are your thoughts on it.
  2. macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    All the time. I set it so it keeps the original version as well just in case it happens to be better (1 our of 10 shots maybe).
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I use HDR all the time, but once in a while the original shot turns out to be better than the HDR shot...
  4. macrumors 601

Oct 20, 2008
    I don't like how it's so inconsistent. They should have a setting for auto HDR if that's possible. I also don't like how it slows down the picture-taking process so much.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2010
    I don't use it all the time, but I like it when I do.
  6. macrumors 68030

Mar 30, 2004
    I use it under bright lighting (or shooting against lighted backdrop). Under limited lighting, HDR usually does more harm than good, especially against moving subject.
  7. macrumors member

Oct 9, 2009
    Bracknell, Berkshire
    I use it for ebay product shots, i find that it works well when used in conjunction with a daylight bulb.
  8. macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2010
    The great State of Maine
    I use it and like it. I haven't done any detailed testing, but if shoot the same subject with Camera/HDR and a different app, like Clear Cam, that doesn't use HDR, there's a perceptible difference that usually comes out in Camera's favor.

TrueHDR and Pro HDR are better if you really want the whole HDR experience, and other apps are better if (like me) your hands tend to be unsteady while holding the camera. I like having a lot of choices.

Lately I've been using Hipstamatic most of the time, but I guess that's a different subject.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I only use my phone camera on rare occasions, because I have a DSLR.
  10. macrumors 65832

Tom G.

Jun 16, 2009
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    I use it when it is proper to use it, and I don't use it when it is not proper to use it.

It is meant to be used only when necessary. Google HDR photography and read what it is for. When you understand what and why a tool was developed and designed then you will be able to use it properly and get the best use out of it.

A screwdriver will not efficiently replace a hammer. Each has their own purpose.
  11. macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2009
    to me, it honestly feels like a built in photoshop. the way it enhances the brightness and stuff fixes almost all flaws automatically. I LOVE hdr mode!
  12. macrumors 601

Oct 27, 2009
    Same here. Works great for indoors with normal to dim lighting, huge improvement from the original. If it's too bright tho ... Like being outside on a sunny day, HDR might make the picture worst.
  13. macrumors member

Nov 26, 2010
    I always take HDR pictures. iPhone photos come out best when it's very sunny out, and if I ever take a picture that has the sky in it, then I will totally take it with HDR or I'd be missing out.

I use the Pro HDR app because I found colours were washed out otherwise, also it gives me more options and the ability to adjust contrast and everything.
  14. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    It works wonderfully in sunlight when there's not much movement. If you don't have both of those factors then I leave it off. The times I have it on I probably keep half of the HDR shots and half the original shots.

So I keep 50% of the HDR shots I take which is probably only about 10% of all my iPhone photos. So I didn't vote. I don't hate it, but is a 10% usage rate the same as "love?"
  15. macrumors 68000

Oct 23, 2008
    You always carry your DSLR around :confused: ?
  16. macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2009
    The Netherlands
    As a matter of fact, when I'm on holiday: yes! :)
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2010
    HDR ... meh

i barely take shots outside since i'm a big nerd ;)
  18. macrumors demi-god

Oct 9, 2005