HDR-HC3 vs PV-GS500 ..... Or Other?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VanMac, Jul 28, 2006.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey All.

So, I've been thinking of buying a semi-pro camera for a while now...ie: AG-DVX100b. Dont really have the cash for it, so I will wait.

I have since donated my Canon Elura to a worthy cause, and need another camera to replace it. Really just home video and fun stuff. Dont need alot of manual controls, etc....I will get something else in the future.

So, I was pretty much thinking of going with the PV-GS500. I've also been looking now at the HDR-HC3. I dont need HD, but I'm a gadget freak, so it's always fun to play with new technologies.

HD aside, I want a good camera. In reading the reviews on camcorderinfo.com, it seems that the HC3 comes out just as good, if not better then the GS500, regardless of HD or SD.

I'm not worried about the price diff between the two. I can swallow that, and would be willing to just for the fun of playing with new technologies.

So, any input appreciated. I'm not looking for a SD vs HD argument. Just want to know if the HC3 is as good or better then the GS500 as far as camera performance, regardless of price diff or format diff. Or, for this price point is there a more recommended camera.

Thanks!

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Funny how similar your situation was to mine. I upgraded.. well shouldn't say that because I still use it, from a Canon Elura 10, which I still love for it's compact size but was always annoyed that it did not produce a true 16:9 ratio but a cropped 4:3 and that the color didn't compare to a 3 chip camera. I debated the sorny, at the time I believe it was the HC1, and panafonics and ended up with the panasonic GS500. The color reproduction on the GS500 is incredible, very little adjusting needed once in FC. The overall quality of the GS500 is fantastic, and I do not regret the purchase one bit. My only complaint about the GS500 is that there is no headphone input for listening to audio but I have been told that I can get an attachable mic with one.. not sure on that.

Summary, love the GS500, wouldn't consider anything else. Very impressive battery life, lots of great features in terms of low light settings, true widescreen LCD display, nice to hold, gets compliments (not that you should buy a camera for compliments).

My best advise if for you to track both cameras down and go try them out... really try them out hold them upside down, shake them, etc.. make the sales people cry. I ended up buying mine from bhphoto.com, they had a great deal that included an extra battery, extended warranty, tripod and bag, which put the camera over at the top of my list.

Also check out www.camcorderinfo.com and www.pana3ccduser.com (a panasonic user site) for info and reviews and user experiences.

3. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

One has got to believe that Panasonic has a consumer HD camera in the works that's got to be coming our fairly soon. No progressive scan in HDV bothers me, but maybe it's a moot point at that resolution.

Though, between the two, I'd go for the HDV Sony, especially if you're a bit of a gadget nut. I'd look at the HC1 over the HC3 for the focus ring alone, thought that little wheel on the HC3 ain't bad.

4. bmb012 macrumors 6502

I got the HC1, read somewhere that the HC3 is made to be more consumer friendly, more automatic, smaller, top loading tape slot, but not as good quality.

That being said, the HC1 in decent lighting looks absolutely stunning on an HD television, and the colors look brilliant on anything else.

5. Judo macrumors regular

This is one thing that annoys me. Why did they take the focus ring away? Panasonic did it too. It was a big selling point for me.

To me it sounds like you are set on the Sony. I'm sure if you got either of these cameras you wouldn't be dissapointed. If I had the money for a camera at the moment, I would try and find a HC1 myself.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I could be wrong and don't have a source but believe that I read this somewhere on http://www.pana3ccduser.com that Panasonic was not going to put one out until they had a true HD image... wish I had the story link.

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

The GS500 does have a focus ring what they got rid of was the extension like feature that you would have with a telephoto lens which the GS400 had. I personally don't see the point in the Sony, the HD component doesn't make me wowed (wowed?). I think the Sony HC1 was a much better camera but good luck finding one.. I also think that the GS400 was in some areas better then the GS500 but I still love my 500.

8. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I'm kinda hoping that as well. I can hold our for a bit on my purchase. Certainly a PV-HD600 would be a nice option.

9. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Not exactly. Both seem like good cameras. I'm just getting the feeling by reading certain reviews that if you have the extra cash, your better off with the HC3.
    Both seem like they could have carried over some nice features from their predecessors though....too bad.....

10. sigamy macrumors 65816

It is a tough call, both are at the top of the class of consumer cams.

Do you have an HD set to view your footage? Or will you be getting one soon? Also, how do you plan on editing and distributing your footage? From what I've read you need a powerful machine to edit HDV and you'll probably be delivering standard def DVDs for a while until blue ray is ready.

I own the GS400 and it is incredible. Awesome 16:9 mode, great picture quality, great colors, great control.

If you have good answers to all the HD questions above you should probably consider the HC3 or HC1. If you are still in the SD world, or want much easier editing, go for the GS500 or find a good condition GS400 from an honest seller.

If you want I can send you 5 or 10 seconds of full quality DV from the GS400 so you can see it. Let me know.

11. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Yes, I have an 51" HD TV. Will also be buying a MacPro in a couple of months to do editing.

Sure, some footage would be cool. Send me a PM.

12. harrysdog macrumors newbie

I fretted for awhile deciding between the GS500 and other HD cams. I ended up paying almost 700 for the GS500 a few months ago. I dont regret it a bit. All my videos look great even on an HD tv. And the focus ring is a big plus compared to the crappy joysticks. Although I wish I could have found it a little cheaper. I just noticed that there is one on Amazon right now for less than $500. That wont last long.