HD's won't mount! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by meta-ghost, Jun 14, 2002.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

Here is a serious problem I could really use some help with. I have two HD's, one of which I can boot up off of(OS X), the second of which (OS 9) is readable on the desktop but I am unable to boot . Despite being able to boot off the 1st and see the second, neither is listed as mounted in any utility program and the computer is very unstable.

Three days ago our house lost power while the G4 was on and it appears to have done some serious damage. First we couldn't print, then other odd things were happening. I booted up on the OS X disk and ran First Aid. It verified problems on the HD but would not give me the option of repairing it. The second internal drive(the one that came with the machine and has oS 9) had been disconnected for a couple of months so the thought was to plug it in and boot up off it and do the repairs on the first problem HD.

I did change the Master/Slave settings and am confident they are correct . First Aid(on the OS X disk) sees both drives as their proper Master/Slave config but also labels them as unmounted and will not let me mount them.

I can not boot off the OS 9 HD.

I bought a copy of Disk Warrior and was hoping for general repair and mounting but here is the Catch 22: If I try to boot up off the DW disk, the HD's are not mounted and do not show up for repair. My OS 9 HD won't boot and if I try to install it on the OS 9 by booting my OS X volume in classic, I get a message that I need at least a classic OS 9.1 installed (which I do - 9.2) and classic won't start.

In addition, I ran the fsck -y command and it initially found problems which it fixed.

How can I mount these drives and be able to use Disk Warrior to see if other problems exist?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

When I was reformatting a while ago, I unchecked the "install os9 disk drivers" box and after installing OSX, I found that OS9 could not find a disk to install in because it couldnt read any of the disks or anything...I'm not sure this is relevant at all but maybe it is..

3. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is solved and it was definitely related to the power loss. I have a surge protector strip but I guess that is not enough sometimes. The return of power disrupted a regulator on the motherboard and -by phone- Apple guided me to resetting a small button/switch on the motherboard which brought everything back. It's not often that a push of the button can make a whole series of seemingly unrelated issues go away...