HDTV as a computer monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalns, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I have a macbook currently and I was looking into buying an HDTV that I could use instead of an actual monitor. I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions about how well this would work and any issues that might arise from it.

This is the specific one I'm looking at:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&coliid=IJFAQGBMVWYGP&colid=3VE0EKCIREUGU

Also, in the future (though probably not for another two years) I intend to get a Macpro that will serve not only as my video editing machine, but as an archive for all of my DVD's (on a seperate hard drive of course). I was hoping to create a very integrated system where I could work, watch movies or play games all in one setup.

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

3. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

The only real problem with using that thing as a monitor is the 1366x768 resolution... which is fairly low. Then again, if you are going to be sitting across the room, anything higher than 1366x768 will have you squinting.

4. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

So since the Macbook has a slightly higher vertical aspect ratio (16:10 vs 16:9), would it be pillar boxed?

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Only if you mirror. You should end up running both screens at their native resolutions. Meaning that you will get a full-screen native MacBook res on the MacBook and a full-screen native TV res on the TV.

Gaaaah, I can't wait until the stupid adaptor gets here so I can cable my iMac to my LCD TV. :D Then I can put the wireless KB and mouse on the coffee table and my batta-bing will go batta-boom. :D

Although, hmm, I will need something opaque to put under the mouse. :eek:

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

no, it wouldn't be pillar boxed...the displays act independently of each other.

but, for a monitor i'd look into gettting an HDTV with a better resolution. Westinghouse makes an affordable 1080p television. With this the resolution is 1920x1080. This gets you roughly the same as the 23" Apple LCD instead of some more like a 2nd macbook screen.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, yes, I'm fairly certain we did this thread very, very recently. :D

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW I just got mine working over the past few minutes at 1360x768. It's gorgeous. I needed SwitchResX to get it to do the right resolution, and it took some tweaking, but watching iTunes videos on my TV is soooo worth it. :)

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if money isn't an issue, why not spend the extra $170 for the 32" model?

11. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

hmmmmmm

So what excatly would I need to hook up my macbook to my panasonic hdtv?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, don't you think a model number or some specifications might help? What kind of ports does it have? Does it have VGA, DVI, or HDMI?

13. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

What kind of connection are you using? I tried using a S-video to RCA composite the other day and it looked pretty bad. Considering getting a DVI-HDMI cable though. Sadly my LCD doesn't have a DVI connection.

14. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

The TV has all 3, but wouldn't VGA be the best option?

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, DVI or HDMI would, since they're digital interfaces.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm using VGA -- and this is a PPC iMac so no DVI....

Yes, these are the best options. It doesn't matter which you use. HDMI can include the audio stream, I think, so if you can find a DVI + line-out -> HDMI cable, that would be very nice.

The only one you can't really use is HDCP if you have it... because it has a copy protection scheme in it and as far as I know you must have HDCP on both ends....