HDTV/EDTV/Standard TV thoughts

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given the recent thread about time being wasted watching TV, I thought I would ask this question (with a lengthy setup):

I am in need of a new TV set. I had planned on an HDTV set and maybe HDTV service (forget antennas, I am in the "red zone"). I know realize that for me TV is not a staple of life. I do love my movies, so I will continue to rent DVD's (Netflix).

I had planned on an HDTV set. Partly due to the 2006 rollout of DT/HDTV in broadcast (as of now according to the FCC). I was even planning on getting a DVD player that "upverted" the "quality". Add to that my cable company is only supporting 1080i, so I figured I best get that type of HDTV set in order to take advantage of it, if I found myself unable to live without TV.

Given that DT/HDTV is to be the "standard" in 2006, but given my reliance on DVD's, do I really need to go the HDTV route? It probably would help that I generally try to get 8 t0 12 years out of a TV set. And if I am going to spend $1000 to $3000 on a TV set - it better well last me at least 10 years! :) :eek:

What do you TV tech savvy people have to offer on this?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Wait for the new Texas Instruments HD3+ DLP chip that can do 1080i. I have a Sony 32" XBR HDTV TV and also looking to upgrade to a 50" HDTV set. I looked at the technologies, and definitely plasma is off the list.

So the choice narrows to LCD or DLP. But both projection TVs can only display 720 and some can accept HDTV but it gets downconverted to 480, which is not HDTV at all. So I am waiting for the technology to improve and the TI HD3+ DLP chip looks very promising.

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

GO HDTV LCD --- i fell in love with mine ...

HDTV is going to be the standard for broadcast -- in the next little while there will also be consumer HD-DVD available for you to watch HD on your HD television set

if you want to future proof yourself ... go HD

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So if I am hearing you right, then LCD is the best way to go in the next two to three months?

I was impressed by what I saw at Best Buy with the straight LCD displays compared to most of the others.

Based on research i think that I am in the market for a 34" to 40" display. Any names to stay away from?

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Actually, I prefer DLPs since the technology is newer and it's from Texas Instruments.

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i have a sharp aquios 37" --- i love it ... DVI inputs for HDTV recievers -- just stunning

yes ... DLP is the next step ... but very expensive -- and still in really early stages ... LCD is lower priced now and yields phenominal results

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I haven't done the full research, but Lacero seems to indicate that the DLP's are only currently 720. My concern is that Cox Cable in my area seems to be indicating that they are only supporting 1080i for HDTV "reception" with their HDTV "package". I don't want to be left behind in the future if my viewing needs change.

8. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Standard Def DVD will not look any better on a HDTV. A HD DVD player will resize the image to fit the HDTV but will not add any resolution to the image.

Personally I would wait until HD is broadcast in your area &/or DVDs are readily available as HD.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

DVDs can and do look better on HDTV displays. Two reasons for this.

First, all SDTVs are interlaced, so the most resolution you can resolve is somewhere in the order of 360-400 lines of resolution. It has to do with interlacing overlap. Whereas DVDs can go to the full 475-480 lines of resolution on HDTVs.

Second, HDTVs typically have better electronics so they can cope with the digital signals. Sony is rumored to use the cell chip in HDTVs to improve DVDs beyond what a conventional TV can display. Algolith makes a breakout box that can upconvert DVDs to even better quality than the original DVD itself. Here's the machine.
    [​IMG]

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm personally biased toward plasma TVs, but I would say that if you get a flat panel of any sort, make sure it has AT LEAST 720 lines of resolution... and there's no question that you should go with widescreen 16:9. Make sure also that it has several inputs (S-Video, Component x 2, HDMI if it's available), because you're going to want to connect more than one thing to it (DVD player, HD cable box w/ DVR, gaming console, etc.).

I have a Runco PL-50c 50" plasma in my living room and a Sony KV-30HS510 WEGA tube TV (HD, of course) in my bedroom... tube TVs, although bulky, do have a big advantage in terms of picture quality and lines of resolution over flat panels. DLP sets are OK, a compromise between tubes and flat panels, but I've never seen one I really liked.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

HDTV is not mandatory just a digital signal by 2006. Analog wont be dropped till 2012. Id say get an HDTV with a built in tuner, it will cost more but will be worth it in the long run as it will save you money on a standalone HD tuner.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was watching a Plasma in a bar the other night and I've gotta say that it is the best picture quality. But the life span is only 5-10 years. Plus they start to burn in really fast like within a few years. The repairs to a plasma are steep.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The lifespan really depends on how much you actually use it. Mine's rated for 30K hours, which would be 3.4 years of continuous (always on) use. Realistically, though, mine's never on for more than a couple of hours a day, so it should last a LONG time... and I'm careful to never leave stationary images on the screen (prevents burn-in). My 5 year warranty expires in December 2005, so I'm hoping that if something DOES happen to mine, it'll be before then.

Oh, and make sure you get a REALLY good surge suppressor for your TV, one with an equipment replacement guarantee. Surge suppressors don't stop lightning, but a good ERG will help make sure your TV is replaced if it's taken out by electricity of any variety.

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

most cable companies have their own tuners/receivers that they require you to get. so you'll be being double since you have one in your TV, that might not work properly, and the second one you have to get from the cable company.

not to mention you don't HAVE to buy the receiver/tuner from the cable company you can rent them.
    my cable company wanted 799.99 for purchase or 19.99 a month for the rental <-- i went with the rental

15. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

We have a 43in Samsung DLP. It is simply awesome. Its 720p, but displays 1080i as well, so don't worry about that. Besides, IMHO, 720p is superior to 1080i, because of the progressive scan. Some people complain about DLP's "rainbow effect", but I've never noticed it.

If you are a CBS show fan at all (CSI, Without a Trace, NUM3ERS, etc), HDTV is a MUST. Watching CSI in HD with surround sound is a totally different experience, way better than watching a fuzzy analog signal.

Also, revenuee, they charge you $19.99 a month? We have a dual tuner HD DVR with 160 GB HD for $6.99 a month!

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

canada dude --- we pay a premium for stuff like this ... it's not common, we only get about 10 channels right now --> not to mention that cable companies have monopolies on regions ... my only option is one cable company or one dish company -- and i stand by the idea that cable is better then dish

17. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i saw a samsung dlp tv last year at a friend's house, and was seriously impressed. i don't think i've seen one flat panel tv that i've been impressed by, the picture quality just isn't up to scratch in my mind.

maybe someone can help me out here, why is it that plasmas are so expensive when they have a resolution worse than a 15" lcd computer monitor? am i missing something big here??

Chip NoVaMac ... if i were you, i'd see if you could find the tv that i have, an old Sony KV-32XBR100. they use the best tube ever built and the picture quality is stunning. they cost $3,500 when they came out over 6 years ago (not sure when exactly). i picked mine up for $400 (unheard of) but you can get them for a grand, if you can find them that is. while mine still works, i'll never even think about getting hdtv.