HDTV graphics?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've hit a sort of idea about HDTV graphics, and why people are saying the Revolution will be crap because they will not be supporting it.

Now you probably own a DVD, even though a DVD is just 480i/p they still look realistic aye? The actors (if good) express human emotion and look lifelike.
    Are HD graphics in games just there because systems really have hit a saturation point right now. Nintendo have been saying that but it's becoming evident now. Are games only going HD because hey, its something new in displaying images so lets distract the player from the fact that we can't make games to look as real as a DVD?

I know that HDTV graphics will become commonplace in the next 10 years (after the UK's main broadcaster goes HD and Japan settles on a unified HD standard, not just America) but shouldn't they be trying to make games look realistic? not just higher resolution with a few more effects?

of course... if graphics are your thing that is.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think they are trying to make the games look more realistic. just compare madden on xbox1 to madden on xbox 360. the players look much more realistic

3. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to convince yourself that HDTV ain't good because Rev won't have it ?

Let me make an Pc analogy for you : Do you think a 1280x1024 resolution better then 1024x748 resolution ? If you answer is yes then the same reason apply to SD vs HD

4. stutz macrumors member

Good point. Any bump in resolution is a good thing, provided it doesn't hurt performance.

The ironic thing is that as graphics for games get better (higher resolution, better textures, smoother/more complex modeling) the more picky and annoyed we become with games. I remember as a kid not caring that Techmo Bowl used to be nothing but a few blocky, pixelized blobs running around on a screen on the original Nintendo. Now, in the Xbox 360 version of Madden, you can see every skin pore of every player if you look hard enough. Because the graphics have gotten so detailed, my eye is more discerning telling me all the things that are WRONG with the graphics, not representative of the real thing (zombie-like human animations, lack of animation spontaneity, etc.).

I think we're getting to a point where better graphics aren't helping the game experience anymore. Better animations and story start really sticking out as places to improve things.

Stutz

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Bear in mind that Nintendo did say that it would have monitor output, which implies that it will go HD of somesort eventually once everyone gets sorted out and everyone uses a single standard.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

That's what it looks like to me. "I don't have HDTV. HDTV is bad. The Rev won't have HD because HD is bad."

I enjoy being "distracted" by my HD viewing of "Grey's Anatomy," "Boston Legal," "The West Wing" and every other prime time TV show. I also enjoy being "distracted" by the gee-wiz graphics of my Xbox and Xbox 360.

7. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

distracted from the awfull gameplay?
    hehe sorry i couldn't resist.

just joshing you, im sure the xbox360 is awesome, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it, and be playing it.

just like the PS3 will be awesome

just like the revolution will be awesome

peace : ]

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well the jump from ntsc to hdtv as still a few notches higher than from PAL to hdtv so at least hats why the interest here is rather little

golem.de (a german tech news site) had a poll about hdtv 2 weeks ago:

3% owned a hdtv
    5% are planning to buy one
    around 40 % have no plans to buy one
    the rest didn't knew what HDTV even is

and that is on a tech savy homepage

perhaps that wil lchange when they broadcast the football world cp next year in hdtv (the channel who was planned to start in fall 2005 got delayed to "in 2006")

edit: oh well i just read that the austrian ORF isn't going to broadcast in HDTV before_ 2015_ ... yeah that's a 15.. a whopping 10 years off

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I don't have a source, so feel free to be suspicious, but I read online yesterday that US HDTV penetration is possibly as high as 15% currently.

10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

don : send me a friend's request. I want to play some xbox 360 this weekend.
    GT : Symtex

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Well since I have a progressive scan DVD player and I can watch digital TV in HD I'll let you in on a little secret raggedjimmi HDTV looks better!

Lets be honest though this is one of those Revolution doesn't have HD threads, right?

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Strange that I know only one person that actually has one...

Perhaps the number is wrong *or* is inflated by people who own HDTV's buying multiple ones.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I don't know how things are in the rest of the world but in Australia you would be hard pressed to find a standard definiton TV anymore, unless you got some yum-cha $10 TV from K-mart or Target.

14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Maybe you need some new "High Tech" friends..lol

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

me neither but i'm in europe

i just surfed along for numbers i read on one link that the average HD houshold owns 1.2 hdtvs

another year for the german market: the german ard/zdf aren't considering HDTV before the olympic games 2008
    wel lat least that's sooner than the ORF's 2015

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I like my current friends, thanks.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well not every "high tech" friend is the same home cinema guy ;)... i've got mostly "my room looks like norad" friends .. with some of them obsessed with mobile phones

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I don't know a single person with an HDTV. :/ and no channels i really enjoy are in HD, aside from Red Sox Games, but if i wanted it to look more life like i will go buy tickets to the game. which of course is zillions time better to go to the game than to see it on HD :p

so as long as Cartoon Network doesn't have HD there is ZERO point for me to purposely go out and get an HDTV just for the HD.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, my "high tech" friends generally have souped up PC rigs, or all the current gen consoles and loads of games, instead of an HDTV. I have some other friends that simply don't have enough money to have "high tech" gadgets, and one that can't even afford a second console but is trying to save the money up. I don't choose friends based on paychecks.

And btw; my friend that does have a HDTV just has it because he was trying to buy a big flatscreen TV and all the ones the stores sell are HD. He doesn't have HD cables for any of his systems, nor does he have HD TV service. It's like a 50 or 60 something inch TV.

20. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well if eva01 and GFLPraxis don't know many people with HDTVs then those numbers clearly must be wrong. I apologize.

:)

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

seeing as i know a ******** of people and work in a hospital and still don't know anyone.

Of course the numbers are wrong :p

and oh yeah until anime starts coming out in HD then i will need to buy one

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Like most surveys, depends who you ask:

"According to CEA's 2005 CE Ownership and Market Potential Study,
    current HDTV penetration is at 13 percent (sales adjusted) or
    approximately 14.4 million households."

"According to Peter Wilson of High Definition & Digital Cinema Ltd., in
    terms of market penetration HD televisions were present in only 17
    percent of U.S. households last year, a number that will grow to 22
    percent this year and will exceed 55 percent in 2008"

According to DisplaySearch, they put the number at 26% in North America. That sounds really high to me.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm 15-17 % would mean that there is a hd-tv in every 6th household
    26% in every 4th

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, if you take the survey in a very high-income area, you probably WILL find a very high number of HDTV's. I'm sure in Beverly Hills the adoption rate is nearly 100% ;)

Depends on the area and other factors. I'm sure some surveys came up with 15%. Others came up with more like 2%.

It's just strange that I know more people who own Macs than own HDTV's. (Although I know more people who want HDTV's than want Macs)

25. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I wish i didn't go out today I could have caught this before everyone jumped on me.

I HAVE (or will on xmas day) a HDTV. My mates have HDTV's. I'm just saying that, i'll try and make this as clear as possible, DVD's run in 480 and they look realistic. DVD's or whatever the next format is on HDTV will also look realistic.
    A guy on a forum I sometimes visit said something similar. that DVD's produce a life like image without HD. thats the point. short and simple. realistic in-game graphics will be achieved on any resolution higher than 480.

Talk about getting hold of the wrong end of the stick :rolleyes:

also its nothing about HDTV not being popular at the moment. ok. its just this;

A DVD LOOKS REAL IN 480P. REALISM DOES NOT NEED HDTV

clear this time? good! I can rest now.