hdtv help - dark spot

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by savar, Sep 9, 2006.

1. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I just purchased an "as is" HDTV from Sam's club today. I think the unit was a display unit. I watched it in the store for a few minutes and it looked fine, but I realized after getting it home that has a dark spot near the left edge. It's not too noticeable, about the size of two grains of rice stacked on top of each other. I don't think its stuck pixels because it seems to darken all colors. I would think its a speck of dirt on the lens.

Is it fixable? I won't be crushed if its not but it would be sweet to get the TV into mint condition.

BTW, the set is a Sony KDF-E50A10. I got it for $900. What do you think? Good deal? Besides the lamp, is there anything else to worry about buying a previously used unit?

Thanks--

2. Reaver macrumors 6502

have you done a convergence adjustment on it yet?

if it is the lamp its still not a bad deal for a good Tv, alot better than my 55 mitsubishi HDtv ($3,600) or so in that range.

3. savar thread starter macrumors 68000

savar

Ehh, I'm an HD noob. What is convergence adjustment?

4. Reaver macrumors 6502

well depending on what type of HDtv the convergence is getting your colors and your lines all matched up (this would be done in a Rear Projector HDtv). In cases when a LCD or DLP Hdtv is brought into play it is mostly getting the color settings set right with no bleeding in the picture, making sure the screen and the internal workings are all working when you move a HDtv is one of the most important things with and when you were moving your tv and it got banged around either by the delivery man or by you trying to get it up the stairs could have knocked something loose or out of alignment.

you might want to pick up a convergence disc and maybe visit some HDtv websites like : http://avsforum.com
    that website has alot of usefull information.