HDTV on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kjdenison, Jul 30, 2006.

1. kjdenison macrumors 6502

I would like to enter into the world of HDTV, I have a small studio apartment, and really all I need is a display that is 15-20" Is there anyway to play HDTV and standard TV programs on my new 15" macbook pro? Or should I invest in a seperate HDTV.

I have a 25" Standard Phillips TV right now, and would like to ditch it. I can only spend up to $300 max. Which I know is not much, but I'm hoping something is possible.

If I should just find a deal on a smaller hdtv lcd what are some suggestions. I have a nice audio setup and it would be kinda odd to just stick my computer by it all when I want to watch TV, or a movie. I'm lost on what would be the best decision. Help!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It does depend, in part, on what you intend to use as the source of your HDTV programming. As all the signs in the stores say, you must provide HDTV programming to make use of your HDTV.

If you're going over the air you may be able to find a solution that involves your Mac, otherwise if you're planning to use HD Cable or Satellite, it becomes less likely that your Mac can play much of a role. (If OTA, something like the MIglia TV Mini HD http://www.miglia.com/products/video/tvminihd/index.html would work $250)

Note also that since HDTVs have a 16:9 widescreen ratio you will get a much smaller picture for standard 4:3 programming on a 20" HDTV than on a 25" "regular" TV. You'd need something around 32" to get tha same effective picture size... Finally, 20" is at the real low end of HDTV size, so there aren't many models in that range. Perhaps something like the forthcoming Samsung LN-S1952 $500 would be close?

B

3. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you need an HDTV, not a Mac based solution.

B