HDTV Owners?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrgreen4242, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    We don't really have a place for home theatre stuff, but I was wondering if anyone here has an HDTV setup? What kind of TV/sound/TV service do you have? How do you like it?

I just ordered my first HDTV (Phillips 30" Widescreen CRT, 480p/1080i), which should be here sometime next week. It doesn't have a built in tuner, and the cable in my area carries like 2 non-premium HD channels :rolleyes: so I am trying to pick up a cheap OTA receiver and go that route.

This set has a HDMI input so I picked up a DVI-HDMI adaptor cable to connect my mini to the TV as well. I've downloaded some TV shows that I miss on regular TV and they are pretty hi-res, 624x352, anyone using their Mac as an HD source? How's that working for you?

Anywho, just thought I might start up a little HD discussion. :)
  2. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
    Right now my system is pretty boring. I have a 57" Sony Wega HDTV with every HD cable channel available. I have my MacMini hooked up with a HDMI-DVI cable just to do some basic web browsing. I also found a way to record TV onto the mini by hooking a firewire cable directly to my cable box. The only problems so far is that the mini has a little trouble playing back the recorded HD content. ;)

In the coming months, I'll be pricing out some surround systems, or just build my own.
  3. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I've had a Runco 50" plasma TV for the past (almost) 5 years, and I've had an HD cable box for it for the past 3 years or so (switched to HD DVR last year). All this is connected to a B&K AVR-307 and M&K 750-THX 6.1 surround sound system through fibreoptic audio and component video cables. I get a bunch of channels in HD... the networks, HBO, SHO, INHD, HDNet, ESPN, PBS, Discovery Channel.

Works pretty well. :)
  4. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I've got a Panny 50" plasma 500U hooked up with Cox HD via HDMI input and HD DVR with them as well. There's a huge light and day difference between regular SD programming and HD programming and it's not just on my tv, i'm glad I switched, mad it took me so long, and will NEVER ever be going back to "regular" cable. I'm holding on on the new receivers that have HDMI switches built into them coming out next month or so, then I have to wait again, to get a HDDVD or Blueray DVD player that I want to hook up via HDMI also. HDMI is the way to go! Less wires=happy camper

I'm a happy switcher! Football looks whoo whoo on it to !

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    we got a Panasonic 36'' 4:3 aspect HDTV (when widescreens were only on very expensive tvs). It's heavy and large as hell, but the clarity is one of the best ive seen on any tv...and we got an open box for $1500 with haggling..not bad ;)
  6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I have a Barco 1208/2 series 8 inch projector going to roughly a 125 inch screen (custom reflective screen). The sound is pumped through a Pioneer Elite rack, 3 amps powering the subs (for music only). Signal is carried by a MyHD card in a PC. I grab it from a couple of sat boxes and an 8 foot antenna in the attic on a rotator to pick up signal. Nothing too intresting, it takes alot of fine tuning to watch a specific show, I usually have to hit towers up to 250 miles away.

It is nice watching the big games on a screen where the players are sometimes up to 4x real life size.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have the same TV you just ordered, but mine has a built in tuner. I LOVE IT! I live in Chicago and just use an amplified TV-top antenna. The picture is perfect. Most of our stations already broadcast digitally and the quality is unbelievable. I'll never have cable- EVER. That is how perfect the reception is. You'll love this TV. :) Unless you're a huge cable fanatic and have to have HBO, Showtime, etc., skip the cable if your area's local stations are broadcasting digitally.
  8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Cool, glad to hear that... I have heard really good things about the quality of the tube in the 30" widescreen Philips CRTs, so when I had the chance to buy one for $400 I took it. Since it does 480p and 1080i as it's two native resolutions (you can argue all day about 720p vs. 1080i all day, but in the end, it's a wash to me) it's perfect for me.

I mostly watch DVDs (widescreen and 480p) and we only have BASIC cable (it's like 13 channels, and of those 8 are either public access or home shopping) and we're fine with that. I hope that one of my sources for a sub-$100 HD tuner pans out, though, then I can have 1080i on more channels than Comcast offers for free. :cool:

We'll keep the cable tho, since we have cable internet we end up saving about $7 a month having basic cable over having nothing at all (discount for the package), and I can keep the cable plugged into the TiVo for "guaranteed" reception and recording other shows while we watch HD live, etc.

Anyways, enough of that boring stuff about ME... any of you guys use the Avia or Video Essentials DVD to calibrate your set? Was it worth the $30? Any idea if those are rentable somewhere? What about "opensource" or creative commons type licensed downloadable disc image/video file?

I'd ideally like to get some calibration images that I can feed to the TV over DVI from my mini at 1080i type resolutions (1920x1080 at 60hz I think - does OS X have video settings for connecting to HDTVs so it sends the signal in an interlaced format?) and calibrate from that.

Sounds like most of you have way more cash to put into home theatres than I do (or my wife will let me spend, anyway). Sadly HDMI selectors are so crazy expensive right now that I'm limited to using just the one HDMI device and hand switching them when needed. Fortunately, since I really only have one true HD input (well, none technically, but one in the immediate future: an OTA HD tuner) it works out OK for me. DVD on the component, TiVo on the SVideo, and my GC on the side composite input and I've filled up all my ports, but have also run out of stuff to plug into a TV.

I'm hoping in 3 years or so getting an HDMI selector that also takes non HD signals, upconverts them to HD, and outputs whichever one you have selected to the HDMI port will become like progressive DVD players are now: $35-50. :p In the meantime, I hope Apple starts selling HD movies through iTunes along with a wireless device to dump them to your HDTV...