HDTV question (with comcast)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jelloshotsrule, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so my brah recently got an hdtv with a built in tuner. he connected it to our digital cable, straight from the wall (ie, not through the cable box), and what we're getting is something strange... it's impossible to tell what channel on the tv corresponds to the actual cable channel number as decoded by the cable box. there seem to be a ton of channels (some even hd), but we can't figure out how to get it to tune in such a way that it corresponds to the cable listings... e.g. we have no way of finding a specific channel like ESPN HD, or whatever.

any ideas? we're running comcast digital cable, straight from the outlet to this tv:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS40...r_1/104-0331628-5103102?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

thanks!

2. Motley macrumors 6502

You're probably still going to need the digital cable box to get the signal. The built-in tuner is only good for over the air signals (I think).

Edit: Just say that it says it comes with a digital cable tuner, but that still might not mean it will work with your provider. Best to give them a call.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, the way the built-in ATSC tuner works with channels can be a bit confusing.

For example, here in Charlotte (Time Warner Cable), the local NBC affiliate's HD channel is 220 on the HD cable box, but 220.1 on the ATSC tuner. It's mostly only network TV stations (plus PBS) that are available in this manner; for ESPN HD, you have to have a cable box or, if your TV supports it and your cable company can provide it, one of those CableCard tuners that slide into your TV like a PCMCIA card.

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

good ole comcast had no idea what to say when we called with the question... haha. they really suck.

but given that the box is like a buck a month, we're going to swap out.. the question is still puzzling, but clayj seems to know his shiz so we'll just go with the box i think

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

meant to also ask... what is the bonus of a cablecard? i mean, what are the pros (and presumably cons) vs using a cable box? jsw mentioned that with a box you can use the firewire port to record to a mac (with irecord) HD quality stuff... which would be a nice feature (i have eyetv for my computer in another room, but being able to grab HD would be sweett)

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I have two HDTV's in my house, and I have Insight cable service. One TV has a box, and one has a cablecard.

Box Pro's:
    1. Built-in DVR,
    2. On-screen TV Guide.
    3. Access to On-demand and Pay-per-view content.

Cablecard Pro's:
    1. No ugly box sitting around.

Box Con's:
    1. Ugly box sitting around.

Cablecard con's:
    1. No DVR.
    2. No on-screen TV Guide.
    3. No access to On-demand and Pay-per-view content.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Couldn't've said it better myself.

And yes, I do know my shiz. ;)