HDTV: Which cable, DVI or Component?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Apr 25, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, so we have a 65" Mitsubishi Widescreen HDTV. We have been using the Scientific Explorer 8000 box (DVR and stuff built in) through TimeWarner cable.

We went down and exchanged it for the HDTV box (free trade), which has tons of hookups:

Component In/Out
    DVI Out
    Optical In/Out

(those are the main hi-def ones, it has reg. composite cable)

Ok, so on the Mitsubishi TV, we have 3 Component inputs, and a DVI input. Currently the box is hooked up to the TV via. Component cables. The picture is great, but I think it will be even better with a DVI cable connection, wouldn't it?

The audio is hooked up through the Digital Audio Coaxial cable, as optical is easily degradable (bent wire).

The picture is great through TimeWarner. Discovery Theatre HD is the coolest channel. I'm loving it, but I still want ESPN HD!

2. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I think DVI is the best but try both. The tv might handle component better than DVI or something. I don't think it would be that big of a difference. Try both and see which one looks the best. Well look at how many pins DVI has and then component. Seems like DVI would be better since it splits up the singnals better??? I don't know what I'm talking about. DVI is better than VGA tho.

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I know a little bit about the subject. I think the video comes in digital, then the component cables split it back up to analog, then the tv splits it back to digital.

DVI doesnt have that, its one digital run.