HDV (HDR-HC1) into iMovie...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tcigt, Sep 13, 2006.

1. tcigt macrumors newbie

Brand new to this forum... I hope I am asking in this in the right place. If not, please point me to the appropriate place. :)

OK... I have the Sony HDV camcorder and I can import my old tapes into iMovie no problem but when it comes to anything I have taped in HDV it says it cannot read it. I can pull the exact error message this afternoon.

Any tips.... am I supposed to be converting it down out of HDV while I import it?

I so appreciate any help.

Thanks so much,
    Teresa

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What version iMovie are you running? Earlier versions of iMovie do not support HDV footage. I believe HDV support started with version 5 (aka iMovie HD or iMovie '05).

3. tcigt thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Hmm,

I'm only guessing, since I don't have an HDV cam to play with. Are you trying to import HDV footage into a project that was started as a DV or MPEG-4 project?

I know that when I start a new project, iMovie asks if I want the project to be an HDV, a DV or MPEG-4 project. Maybe iMovie can't handle multiple formats in the same project.

ft

5. tcigt thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thought...

Great thought... let me go and see because I was trying to import it into a file that already had regular video. I will post back with results in a bit in case that fixes it and this helps someone else. :)

6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I have a HDR-HC1 and have no problems importing. You need to make sure your settings are correct. Try some of these steps:

-i.LINK CONV set to off
    -REC FORMAT set to HDV1080i
    -COMPONENT set to 1080i/480i

Also read pages 76 and 77 of the manual. Make sure you have the proper setting on iMovie, use HDV 1080i format in iMovie.

Let us know if this helps.

Nuc

7. tcigt thread starter macrumors newbie

Part of the way there...

I am part of the way there...

I started a new movie and chose HDV 1080i and it showed that it was importing... I was sitting there watching it and then it would show the clip as 00:00 and nothing was there just a blank clip file.

I have taken iMovie off and am going to reinstall to see if I left off HDV components the first time I loaded not having an HDV camcorder.

I hope to get that done tonight and that it will work. I will check back... thank you both so much for your help! :)

8. tcigt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Thank you so much! I reinstalled iMovie 06 and it is loading great!

My day started with a CS lady telling me the camcorder was not compatible with Macs. Two months ago when I got the HDR-HC1, Sony told me that I needed a HD Firewire cable. I thought something was odd when Circuit City looked at me like I was NUTS!

I wish I would have found this forum earlier.

I wanted to be sure and say thank you and note that your advice worked in case anyone finds this thread looking for help themselves.

:)