HDV to iMovie to iDVD quality is poor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr.Gadget, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I use my Sony 1080i HDV camcorder to film 60 minutes of footage in HDV. I then import the footage into iMovie at 1080i. The quality of video at this point is awesome. I then edit and export to iDVD. The resulting DVD looks almost like VHS quality. The menus made with iDVD look sharp, as expected, but the footage is bad. I know I cannot record HDV quality out to DVD but I think the resulting DVD project should have better quality. It is quite "smudgy". :confused:

Will I get better results with Final Cut Pro HD Express?

Any tips for better quality final DVD?

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Does iDVD support HD footage atm? Can't you just make a DVD from iMovie bypassing iDVD altogether.:confused:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

First, are you sure that your project in iMovie itself has the appropriate quality (not the video as a clip in iMovie, but the overall project). Is your project in 16:9? And have you tried exporting as DV from iMovie first instead of using the export to iDVD feature? The latest iDVD should be able to give you DVD quality video from your source.

4. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Yes, I'm sure that iMovie is in 1080i mode, but I have not exported as DV from iMoivie first... Hum, so maybe I should export back to DV and then turn THAT into a iDVD? Sounds time consuming if so.
    What I have done is:
    1) Import 1080i footage to iMovie
    2) Make edits
    3) Export to iDVD to create opening menu
    4) Create DVD from that (HDV to DVD compression takes a couple hours for a 60 minute movie)

One thing I could NOT figure out is how to export from iMovie straight to DVD. That would be nice since I don't always want or need a theme or menus. What option did I miss for this?
    Thank you!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I'm at the hospital right now, but I'd be happy to look at that when I get back home. I'm pretty sure there is such a one.

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

OP Issues Resolved?

Mr Gadget,

Did you manage to resolve your issues, as I am in a pretty similar boat here..

Not sure what to do..

7. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I'm sorry I just read my Forum PM's! I didn't quite resolve my iMovie issue, but what I did was install and use a Windows program called Vegas from Sony.
    It was a trial copy but fully functional. It is sad that I had to use a Windows program to make a quality DVD! I did purchase the latest iLife with the new iMovie and I am anxious to try this out.
    Again, very sorry for the terrible communications!

Please let me know if you have had any luck on your end!

8. Kulee macrumors newbie

HDV to iMovie to iDVD? How do I get the best quality as it's pretty bad w/all presets

"I use my Sony 1080i HDV camcorder to film 60 minutes of footage in HDV. I then import the footage into iMovie at 1080i. The quality of video at this point is awesome. I then edit and export to iDVD. The resulting DVD looks almost like VHS quality. The menus made with iDVD look sharp, as expected, but the footage is bad. I know I cannot record HDV quality out to DVD but I think the resulting DVD project should have better quality. It is quite "smudgy".

Will I get better results with Final Cut Pro HD Express?

Any tips for better quality final DVD?"

I have the same issue, but this thread of posts just ends. Is there a solution to this?