Head Cold: need advice from experienced sufferers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Neserk, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

When NyQuil and Bendaryl no longer knock you out so you can sleep what do you switch to?

I've got a killer sinus headache and every time I lay down to rest (you know, get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids) I get sick from all the drainage. (As in feel the need to barf, sick). I need something that will wipe me out so no matter how sick to my stomach I am I can still sleep.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

are you useing the NyQuill caplets or liquid form? because i find the liquid to be much more effective....other than that you might want to try some Tylenol Sinus medication

3. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Get a bottle of Rock and Rye (if you're not 21, then get someone who is to buy it for you) from any liquor store. Drop a few oranges worth of peels into it. Let it soak up (a few hours will do, but the longer the better). Then take a few shots of it.

Another thing that works is to eat a few leaves of horseradish (this will open you up) then take a few shots of bourbon. This will burn out the cold.

Another thing that can work is to use some sniffing snuff (also called scottish snuff) Take a few sniffs of it (it doesn't take much at a time) and it will keep you open as well.

These really work for me...I'm a rednecked phonemonkey with no health insurance and I swear by it. Not to mention that I love to drink.

4. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Liquid. Did nothing for me. But it has psuedefed in it which I'm *highly* sensitive to. I guess the alchohol, etc. isn't strong enough to counteract that. I'm going to try the tylenol PM. It has *no* stimulants in it. I'm taking another day off of work. *sigh* I figured this was the best time to experiment with new medications.

Well, here is to actually sleeping tonight, cheers!

5. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL... trying to get me drunk?? ;) I have found that pepperoncini's do wonders for a sore throat! Never tried horseradish...

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    my wife and daughter are both frequent head-cold sufferers and they have good luck with dimetapp elixer. also, if you haven't already tried it...a long hot shower before bed can help clear out your sinus cavities. also a humidifier...the hot kind seems to work better for us than the cold type.

good luck...the only thing worse than a cold is the loss of sleep from one...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

another thing that will help is steaming yourself, i just thought of it...
    all you do is boil some water, pour it into a large bowl and then take a towel and put it over your head and the bowl and breathe in the hot air to help clear our those sinuses....

8. Rend It macrumors 6502

This may be too late. But, I always use TheraFlu (not pills, the powder kind that you mix into water) for any head cold or any similar affliction. When I get a cold, I take the drowsy version before I retire, and I usually wake up feeling pretty good. Also, if it's not just sinus-related (i.e., you're sick), then you should also try drinking Celestial Seasoning's Echinacea Cold Care tea. Drink two cups a day as soon as you start to feel symptoms, and it will shave at least 2 days off your total down time. Oh, and as far as drainage when you're sleeping--if you don't do well with pseudoephedrine, then consider using a vapor rub like Vick's. I know it may seem childish, but a little on your chest before bedtime will make your whole experience better.

Feel better!

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

a hot toddy-- tea, brandy, a bit of lemon and honey-- has been a traditional new england cure for colds for a while. While it doesn't cure your cold, it will help clear your sinuses, as well as getting you really drunk. and colds aren't so bad when you're drunk and asleep. leave it to the new englanders to devise that.

i'm surprised nyquil doesn't work for you, that stuff knocks me over like a steamroller. Dayquil does too, but at least i can still walk ;)

paul

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Hot Buttered Rum...

2 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup water

get the above boiling hot then pour into

2 shots of rum. Drink quickly before the butter thickens.

If you want to get serious about it substitute 151 for rum.

Chinese takeout can also be good. Hot and Sour soup very good for head colds.

11. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think I'll be trying this. I have most of the ingredients.

Last night I took Tylenol PM. I slept. But I still feel like crap.

Thanks for all the help! I'll see what else I can do for day time.

Paul -- Nyquil use to knock me out. I don't know if the psuedefed is too much for or what...

12. bella macrumors member

Rye - a good stiff shot worth, hot water - about a cup, and honey - lots of it. Mix all together and drink as quickly as posible. Next thing you know it's off to la la land.

13. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Tylenol PM usually gets me to sleep.

I have sinus problems, too, and I usually get a sore throat from the drainage. When this happens, I like to gargle with warm saltwater, and gargle in such a way that I can force the saltwater up through my nose. Works wonders for me.

I have a friend who uses one of those things for pouring water down your nose. I forget what they are called. They look like little gravy boats.

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's a thought...when I last had a painful sinus infection, a nasal spray did help clear things out.

Most of the old fashioned remedies are just a combination of sinus-clearing hot (temperature and/or spicy!) stuff, and drowsiness-inducing alcohol. You can pretty much go on those general guidelines and pick your poison. Echinacea is unfortunately at its most effective right when you're coming down with the cold, and not so much when you've well and truly got it.

And, of course, you can always try combining the time-honored remedial alcohol shots with the newfangled conventional medicines that so warn against it (the secret, of course, of liquid Nyquil's success). Nyquil doesn't cut it for me, either, so in a pinch I'll have one drink with a Benadryl, for example. But it's a risky and individual-reaction type thing, so be careful, there.

Nothing will actually make you feel good until you're better, though. I've never taken anything that so reduced symptoms that I didn't still basically feel like crap. Best thing is just to take the time off, do the fluids and rest, and wait it out.

15. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Outstretch you arms and twirl around as fast as you can.
    Then start howling at the top of your lungs.

Or put on a helmut and run head first into a large tree. Hardwood. Preferably oak.

16. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

lol... thanks for the laugh.

I went back to work yesterday. I'm still physically drained but less symptomatic.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If the NyQuil and Benadry are not working, then I would suggest seeing your physician. There could be another problem altogether. Too much self medication isn't a good idea. The most important thing is to always follow label directions.

18. winwintoo macrumors 6502

For the next time, find yourself a good traditional Chinese restaurant - one that cooks the real stuff and get them to make you some hot and sour soup. Tell them you have a head cold and you want a cure. Be brave. Eat it all. Hold a bucket under your nostrils for a couple of hours. Get on with your life.

m

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Actually, I thought any kind of soup (e.g. chicken soup) would be helpful, especially home-made ones (not sodium loaded Campbell crap)...but I wonder if that actually works...with hot/sour soup.

Its mighty tastey though.

20. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I discovered, after watching an ABC special, that I have insomnia. Which likely contributed to my getting sick in the first place. I wonder if I can convince my health insurance company to do a sleep study... :rolleyes:

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    If you can convince your PCP, most HMOs will cover it.