Head of "1984" ad agency dies.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gelfin, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Jay Chiat, whose Chiat-Day ad agency created Apple's "1984" Superbowl ad, has died at 70. If not for this guy's work, we might all be sitting on benches in gray jumpsuits listening to televised propaganda today.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/742820.asp?cp1=1

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

:eek: Damn, that's scary! On a total random whim a couple nights ago I downloaded and watched the 1984 ad for the first time in over 2 years...

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

thanks for the link

interesting commercial indeed...

did it run on tv and everything? so much out of the "norm" of commercials... i guess that's what apple does best.

5. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Yeah - the Super Bowl. Some might argue that it started the over-the-top Super Bowl ad craze.

6. Gelfin thread starter macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, it actually ran during the 1984 Superbowl. An excellent page with the history of the ad is at http://www.isd.net/cmcalone/1984.html. Apparently the lore that the ad only ran one time is only partially true. Like most Superbowl ads these days, an "abridged" version was made, and so the full commercial only ran once, but you could see the short version elsewhere.

The spot, directed by Ridley Scott (Aliens, Gladiator), won the Grand Prize at Cannes, as well as several advertising awards. It was really this ad that sparked the ad blitz we've come to associate with the Superbowl.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...it was kind of cheezy by today's standards...but for the time it was a very advanced type of ad...

too bad for the guy who died though...at least he had his place in history ;)

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that's so sad! TWBA/Chiat Day has done Apple's commercials on and off for a long time, and I had great respect for them. Tho i didn't know much about Jay Chiat, i know the ad agency is responsible for some of the most entertaining commercials out there... I think they did all those GAP ads a couple years back...

pnw

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i like the new imac ad...even better than the original 1984 ad!

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

1984 ad

Can someone tell where I can download this ad(or was a link already given?)
    I do like the new iMac ad but it can't come close to the genius of 1984. It is a true work of art.

11. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Re: 1984 ad

a link was given, but i'm sure you can get it from limewire.

12. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I still get shivers every time I see it. Truly amazing.

The sportscasters didn't think so. After seeing that they said, "What was that?" Probably deeper than they could grasp.

Long live the Macintosh.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

uh-uh, there is no way the new ad even comes close. Apple's marketing strategy is totally different back then. You didn't see the machine, there was no 'wow' factor, just something very cerebral, counter culture (anti-1984 ish). If you haven't read the book, do so, it will give you a much better appreciation, ah, that would be 'double plus good apreciation' of what Apple actually did. I think it was one of the best ads I've ever seen, look at the whole feeling of the thing, mindless drones listening to big brother, etc.

The great thing about it is that they could use the ad today if they wanted, break away from Big Brother Bill..... ohh, now that would be a great little FCP movie. Anyone have access to a good - broadcast quality - version of that? Let me know, I want it. Take a good clip of Bill talking to congress, a quick edit and some new words, it would be a great homage to the ad.:D

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Blasphemy!!! :p

Wow, seriously? I find the new ad too "consumerish" compared to the original 1984 ad that actually SPOKE "think different". Back when Macs broke the mold of personal computing. The commercial actually had deeper tie-ins; with the book 1984. It wasn't just some guy sticking his tongue out. (Not that I have anything against the new ad!)

I dunno... that's almost like comparing 2001 with American Pie or something. Heheh... damn, that's a scary thought. :D

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the 1984 ad was a piece of art and very well done

but it didn't try to sell anything

the new imac ad shows the machine and consumers want simple things they can understand

sure, i can enjoy the french triligy red, white, and blue like the next arthouse film critic, but when it comes to selling a product, the new imac ad is interested in boosting apple, not trying to win a film award

apple inc is a business

don't get me wrong, i spend most of my time with the finer things in life and i were a film critic at cannes, i would definitely vote for the 1984 ad

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No it just made you want to know more about what Apple was selling. It was perfect for the time.

Have you seen the XM Satellite Radio ads? David Bowie, Snoop Dogg and BB King falling out of the sky? Albums, musical instruments and sports equipment falling too? This is the same sort of thing. Pretty cool actually.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

sometimes an ad is so great that i forget the product

one furniture ad i see is of these racoons living in a house lounging around on lazy-boy furniture and while the ad tries to sell the furniture, the racoons steal the show

the folgers ad with the man and woman who are trying to get together is a great ad but it took me two years to notice it was folgers instead of a different coffee

the the most famous ad of all, is the duracell bunny...or was that energizer

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Absolutely. This year for the super bowl is was predicted to be a boring game, well that didn't happen. I had originally decided to watch it for the commercials, because at no time during the year do you have companies paying that much for a spot - so they're always a little more entertaining. My favorite from 2 years ago was the 'Cat Herding' spot from EDS(? I think).

19. iGav macrumors G3

Creative brother goes down......:(

Respect.........

20. Zaren macrumors member

Wow...

I went to see that link, and read the analysis of the commercial while it was downloading... while some of it was a bit of fluffery, some of it overanalyzed, and some of it was just wrong (like the "first identifiable words"), a few things it pointed out (like the timing of the "BEE-doop"s) made the commercial a totally different view this time... and I've been looking at it off and on since the early 90s :) It never sunk in before that this was a Ridley Scott commercial... explains the cool factor :)

-----
    Is Darwin an evolutionary OS?

21. Gelfin thread starter macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Actually, Futurama did a fantastic spoof of the 1984 ad a few weeks ago, when they were putting together an advertising campaign for "Planet Express."

It's amazing how much more jaded we've become to advertising in the past two decades or so. No, it's not obvious what the ad is for, and of course we would now see such an ad as pointless hype. But at the time the ad was something of a phenomenon. According to the page I linked to earlier, CBS, Apple and Chiat-Day were all totally swamped with phone calls immediately. News programs reran the ad in full after the Superbowl (more advertising, for free).

And even though you now say it's impossible to tell what or who is being advertised, at the time the commercial produced an unprecedented level of "recall," which means that, when polled later, the audience remembered both who (Apple) and what (Macintosh), even though they had no idea what the Mac was at the time. Right now, I bet at least 75% of you couldn't tell me which idiotic online dog food company used a cute sock puppet for their mascot without looking it up. You remember the puppet, but not what he was trying to sell you. With the 1984 ad, everybody knew it was Apple's. Not IBM or Tandy, for instance.

Also, in contrast to the long lead time that characterizes most modern hype campaigns, Superbowl XVIII was on January 22, and the Macintosh was unveiled on the 24th.

Also keep in mind that in 1984, the idea of a "home" computer was still relatively new. Computers were tools of business. IBM, the big kids on the block, were still making all their employees wear identical gray suits, white shirts and blue ties. Even programmers who never saw daylight and IT guys who had to crawl under things running cables had to wear the suits, every single day. They made female employees sign contracts stating they would not get pregnant while in the employ of IBM (I assume this would be illegal now). That was the philosophy driving the computer industry.

And "home" computer users were mostly still nerdy hobbyists hiding out in their basements putting things together that hooked up to the TV and offered such astounding features as "4K BASIC in ROM!" There was, at the time, really very little practical use for a home computer. What software was available was crude and difficult to use. It was looking a lot like the computer revolution wasn't going well for home users. The popular conception of PCs was that either they were something your boss was going to force you to learn, or they were something your kid spent too much time playing with when you thought he ought to be paying more attention to girls.

In other words, computers were seen as dehumanizing. The whole goal of the Macintosh project was (and still is) to have computer technology driven by human needs, and the "1984" commercial captured that idea brilliantly. Say what you will about the ad now, but understand that in the proper context it worked, and worked far better than anyone expected.

It was the Energizer Bunny, and unless I'm mistaken, Chiat invented him. :)

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're talking about Pets.com, because pets can't drive!

One of the best. I actually bought a pets.com t-shirt and a sock puppet, which sits in my office at work. It was one of the .bombs, too bad because it was very cool.

I love stuffed things!