heading to the apple store today to get a macbook or macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ToddW, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    Well today I have decided to pull the trigger today. I am heading to the apple store this morning to get either a macbook or macbook pro. I really can't decide on a black macbook or a macbook pro the huge issue i have is graphics problems. It seems the GMA950 that is in the macbook is a little underpowered for what i need it for. Also i have concerns with showing oil stays from my hands on the black macbook. On my thinkpad I use for work it shows some oil stains sometimes and it seems the casing has the same material tha the macbook has.

What does everyone think?
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    if you need the dedicated graphics, then get the MBP. most people don't really know the difference, though, so don't fool yourself into thinking you need dedicated graphics if you really don't - the GMA950 is a very capable GPU.

the black MBs are nice machines but if you need/want a larger screen, a FW800 port, an ExpressCard slot, or are simply enticed by an illuminated keyboard, you'll have to go for the Pro.

i don't know much about the staining issues.
  3. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    Well if you really want the MBP and can afford it, then get it! But yeah I know what you mean about the oil staining. That's the reason why I got a white MB and not a black one. Hope you enjoy your new machine!
  4. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
  5. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    I just want to make sure I get something that is going to last for at least three years. The express card slot will also benefit me as well. Hmmm, at least I have a few hours to think about it!
  6. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    Then go pro. If you were planning on upgrading sooner, I'd say go macbook.
  7. bbergie macrumors regular

Jul 3, 2006
    I agree with the above commenters; if you can comfortably afford the Mac Book Pro, then get it. You'll get more processing power, more RAM, a better graphics card, and a nicer machine that will last you several years just fine.
  8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Go with the MacBook Pro, it seems that is what you have decided, so stick with it.
  9. Habusho macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2006
    MBP would be the way to go for longevity.
    There is going to be a 15" MB coming out pretty soon though although I'm almost positive that that's going to have a built in graphics card in it too.
  10. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    just wanted to let everyone know, that i got the macbook pro and am typing on it as i speak. there isn't any heat issues that i have noticed. it took me awhile to get all the info i needed off the imac G5. the macbook pro seems a lot snappier.
  11. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    in all fairness, people complained about staining on both the white and black models.

congratulations! be sure to let us know if you have any questions and make sure to browse the forums for general tips and advice :)
  12. emac82 macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2007
    NB, Canada
    Apple hasn't confirmed this yet, so until then it's all speculation.
  13. kufel macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2007
    New York
    the only one that can make that decision is you. I usually play along line,s what is more important, power/portability/price ?
    Teh black macbook will fit most basic computer needs, and not so basic ones too :), although be aware, IT WILL SHOW oil stains that are hard to clean off after few months, keep ypur hand clean at all times or get a macbook pro, easier to clean!
  14. bcavanau macrumors member

Oct 25, 2006
    Troy, MI
    So, what did you get?

My vote would have been the MBP.