Heading towards zero

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Years ago, Tom Peters came out with a book called "You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness". I've always remembered that title, because it's a lesson that seems to be perpetually lost on both Big Business and our government.

Just as it's counter-productive for states to race each other to give away the most freebies in an attempt to lure businesses to their state, it's folly to think we can keep on shrinking the economy and somehow, some way, come out okay.

Right now this continuous diminishment of our economy is setting a number of dominoes toppling. The lousy job market along with depressed wages have created more poor, adding large numbers to the rolls of the Medicaid program. So what does the federal government plan to do to fund this increase? If you said "raise the capital gains tax"...you dreamer, you! They plan, of course, to cut the amount of money states get from the federal government to run Medicaid programs.

Of course, it's ironic that Ohio governor Bob Taft is pictured in the article, because recently he sent a budget to the state legislature that severely cuts state funding for various programs that help individual counties. Those counties, in turn, are crying bloody murder because they feel they've taken all the cuts they can.

In this, Year 5 of the George Bush Equal Opportunity Poverty Program, it begs the question...where will it all end? How can you keep cutting and cutting and cutting and expect the economy to grow? With mutual recriminations flying back and forth between Washington, the states and the counties, I have a feeling we are getting pretty near the breaking point. These various levels of government are now starting to turn on each other.

Similarly with respect to Big Business -- and in a situation analogous to states competing with each other -- how long can we keep "increasing our productivity" by sending jobs overseas, forcing Americans to take lower-paying jobs? Can't we see that all the numbers are heading in the wrong direction? How can you replace thirty years of expansion and prosperity (the 1940s through the 1960s) with thirty-plus years of economic downturn (the 1970s to the present)? How long are you going to keep pushing an economic model that keeps heading towards zero?

I don't know about you, but I'm so sick of this bull****. Endless budget cuts and job losses, while already-rich investors move into a new category: the super-rich.

Arrrrrrrggghhhh..... :mad:

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, that's the question of the hour. Where will all of this end? at what point are people going to start realizing that the only people these cuts are benefitting are the wealthy.

I know that the new conservative religious doctrine holds the position that the wealthy are wealthy because of divine intervention, but how long is that going to convince people?

At some point, there will have to be a turning point when people start realizing that what is being done is ultimately hurting more than helping us.

Thank goodness people like Dean are finally being given an opportunity to mold the Democratic Party into a true opposition party that if given the chance will start reversing this crap.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The only way I know to raise wages of manufacturing jobs is to raise the prices of the products.

The only way I know to sell a US-made $500 TV is to put tariffs on foreign-made TVs. Same for cars and tractors and computers and shoes and clothing and kiddy-toys.

Ya wanna figure out the ripple effect of that?

Edit-add: Why the unending knock on rich folks? Aside from building libraries, funding university chairs and establishing such as the Ford Foundation and giving billions and billions of dollars to charities and worthwhile causes, they do things like this:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/pp/05058/462446.stm

:), 'Rat

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Most millionaires deserve to be knocked because they amassed their fortune through inheritance and a system that maintains a wall between the haves and the have-nots; they didn't earn their money. That they give the poor and middle class back a portion of the money gained by exploiting generations of the lower and middle class and hoarded for generations in the form of charity is an insult.

You asked.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

most? read The Millionaire Next Door; it's closer to half. the differences between inherited millionaires and self-made millionaires are numerous. and most of the latter aren't the strike-it-rich kind, they're the kind w/ average salaries who are very good at saving.

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, Desertrat, you put your finger on a big problem. Three decades of amoral, out-of-control capitalism has made it hard to create good jobs here anymore.

Perhaps we need to go back to FDR's style of business. Have the government create good-paying jobs -- manufacturing and otherwise -- here in this country, and fund them with a heavy tax on exorbitant capital gains and salaries. The fat-ass rich would scream bloody murder about not being able to buy that second or third mansion, but the rest of us would do better. And, with more disposable income to stimulate the economy, eventually all of us would.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The circulating economy theory I think. Keep things moving and give every generation the ability to do well based on their efforts.