Headless iMac or headless eMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

It's clearly time for the eMac to be updated. An all-in-one might be appropriate but would limiting as some schools would want CRT and others LCD.

A headless eMac would be ideal. Maybe all this fuss over a supposed headless iMac is actually the eMac replacement.

It would make a lot of sense. There's a lot of schools with Windows who could switch and keep their old monitors.

2. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

It would also make a lot of sense if it was simply called "iHome" as the 2nd page item suggests.

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I started thinking that all this talk of a "headless" iMac was really an eMac as well.

I however do not think that the entire line of eMacs will go headless. There would still be some people out there who would (I suppose) want one with a built in monitor.

I don't think that Apple would add two different processors to one consumer lineup. Spliting the iMacs into G5 and G4's would probably confuse some people. Now, making a headless eMac makes more sense to me.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Joe consumer don't mean didly for this machine, the education market will be the tail wagging this dog -- so it would most likely be an eMac.

Apple needs a machine that retails for around $599 complete.

Right now the education discounts on the eMac push the optical-less eMac down there with the retail 8-pack at $5000 (625 each) for the $699 education eMac.

You know Dell is quite a bit below at bulk prices, so Apple needs retail systems at $599 to compete.

If they can do this with cheap 3rd party LCDs or CRTs and a $499 machine -- that great.

Still don't really expect Apple to push any $99 CRT on the general public though.

Apple has been dumping anything that had a chance of dropping there well before it hit that number for years -- so it likely won't be an Apple monitor.

5. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iCenter maybe, but it's bad marketing to name a product that defines how people will use it. They almost did it with the eMac (the e for education). Will schools be as keen if they think an iHome is something for home use? Ditto corporates.

If you have a generic sounding name, you leave it up to the buyers on how they wants to use.