Headless Powerbook help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pixelkid74, Feb 5, 2006.

1. pixelkid74 macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    Hey everyone

A few weeks back, my TiPowerbook (667 Mhz) monitor crashed out. The computer itself is totally fine though but I am ordering a new macbook pro and just want to access it for work. I did the firewire thing to access files but really wanted to just connect a monitor to it and use it that way.

Heres my prob:

I have it password protected at login so I cant even see what password Im entering or click to select which user. Secondly, I also have the settings on duplex mode so even when I connect a crt monitor to the powerbook, it only shows blue and I cant see the login area. I have used this crt monitor on it before but only when both screens were working.

Is there anyway to bypass that login screen or a trick to doing it blind? Maybe a way to access the settings and set it to duplex so I can use it on the CRT monitor?

Please help. Thanks everyone

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Ok so I haven't owned a Mac, waiting for my MBP, so I can't speak fluently on whether or not you can do this but I've done this time and again on a PC. Hook up a monitor and simply boot it. 9 times out of 10 it just detects the monitor. *shrugs* if it does that on Windows it should on OS X. Have you tried hooking up a monitor yet?

Secondly when your system boots does it put the curser into the password field without user intervention? If so you should simply have to wait a few minutes for the system to boot, type in your password, and hit enter.
  3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    If you press F7, doesn't it cycle through Monitor mirroring/spanning?

try that...

and if you can wait for the MBP, you can just connect it via firewire when the setup assistant does it's thing.
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Katie's suggestion should work I would think. If you really need to log in without a monitor though, you can wait a few minutes till your sure the login window is up. Type the first couple letters of your username and hit enter, then type your password and hit enter again and you should be logged in. If F7 didn't work before you were logged in, it should definitely work after you're in.
  5. pixelkid74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks everyone

Will try this and let ya know

6. pixelkid74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    halfway there

Hey guys

Thanks for all the tips. I was able to login (by typing the first few letters, enter and then password) but F7 on mine wouldnt cycle through the views. Its kinda weird but what it did do was mirror the background on my other monitor (broken one) and I knew I was logged in. But it didnt show my dock, icons, etc. I tried to right click on that screen and access anything (view options) but when I did, that didnt show up on the crt monitor, just the broken one which I cant see.

Any other ideas? Again, thanks for all your guys help. If not, I can wait for the macbook pro to arrive. Oh happy day.=)