Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B-Wizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I love my 80 gig video, and I love almost as much my Sennheiser CX300s, which I picked up for $100 a couple years back.

Anyways, I was looking into getting a new and better pair of 'phones, in the $150 range.

I've looked at Shure SE210, UltimateEars Super fi 5, the V-Moda Vibeii, and etymotics 6i. The key is that it needs to have some solid sound quality, and it needs to hold up. My headphones need to stay on while I'm carving on my freeline skates (search youtube if you don't know what they are) and for that reason I'm leaning somewhat towards the Vibe, because it comes with the ear clips.

your suggestions?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Don't get the Shure's. Sound is great but they use terrible quality cabling that quickly cracks and splits. I'm onto my third pair in nine months (all warranty replacements). It's a problem across the Shure line but they appear to be completely disinterested in rectifying the problem. I keep getting exactly the same cabling with the replacements.

wagonofdoom

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
tokyo
im still a fan of the BOSE in ears.
they dont have fantastic bass, but other than that i have no complaints. I have been using mine for abotu a year for everything from downhill racing on my mountain bike, to snowboarding, to skateboarding. They have another loop that goes behind your neck, and keeps a bit of slack in teh cord so it doesnt pull on your ear.

Im sure there are better ones out there, but i have tried alot of the 200+ headphones, and never really heard a difference. well bass was different. but im not a big fan of alot of bass.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
im still a fan of the BOSE in ears.
they dont have fantastic bass, but other than that i have no complaints. I have been using mine for abotu a year for everything from downhill racing on my mountain bike, to snowboarding, to skateboarding. They have another loop that goes behind your neck, and keeps a bit of slack in teh cord so it doesnt pull on your ear.

Im sure there are better ones out there, but i have tried alot of the 200+ headphones, and never really heard a difference. well bass was different. but im not a big fan of alot of bass.
The Bose in-ears don't isolate sound, meaning they don't create a seal between your music and the external environment. This is bad because you need to turn up the volume louder to hear your music, thereby possibly damaging your hearing and still not achieving good sound quality. The bose don't really provide any advantages over the stock earbuds other than increased bass and more comfortability.

The ER6i and the Super.fi 5 are great quality headphones and they seal well but they don't provide much bass. If you prefer the more bass-heavy soundstage, I'd recommend Sennheiser cx300 which can be had pretty cheap or the vibe duo's, but these two are not as good headphones as the Etymotic or Ultimate Ears because the high's are not as defined.

Something else to check out is the Sleek Audio SA6, they've had great reviews and you can even get a wireless kit that plugs into your iPod so you can listen cable-free.

isx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
Don't get the Shure's. Sound is great but they use terrible quality cabling that quickly cracks and splits. I'm onto my third pair in nine months (all warranty replacements). It's a problem across the Shure line but they appear to be completely disinterested in rectifying the problem. I keep getting exactly the same cabling with the replacements.

I've been using Shure's for years and only once had a problem with a cable (Damn kids!) , And thanks to the superb warranty they not only replaced my broken pair but upgraded me to the new SE model.

@ B-Wizzle

Check out the SE210's they sound great and have a modular cable system so you can have a short cable or a long cable depending on needs. If you have the money spring for the SE310's though!

RamblinWreck

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008

I love my Shure's but I've had the same exact problem with them. If you plan on taking your headphones to the gym, the cable WILL end damaged.

B-Wizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I'd recommend Sennheiser cx300 /QUOTE]

read the first post, I'm listening through cx300s as I write this.

It seems that the majority opinion here is for the ultimateEars, any particular reason?

wagonofdoom

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
tokyo
The Bose in-ears don't isolate sound, meaning they don't create a seal between your music and the external environment. This is bad because you need to turn up the volume louder to hear your music, thereby possibly damaging your hearing and still not achieving good sound quality. The bose don't really provide any advantages over the stock earbuds other than increased bass and more comfortability.

The ER6i and the Super.fi 5 are great quality headphones and they seal well but they don't provide much bass. If you prefer the more bass-heavy soundstage, I'd recommend Sennheiser cx300 which can be had pretty cheap or the vibe duo's, but these two are not as good headphones as the Etymotic or Ultimate Ears because the high's are not as defined.

Something else to check out is the Sleek Audio SA6, they've had great reviews and you can even get a wireless kit that plugs into your iPod so you can listen cable-free.

like i said, i use them for sports, i do not want an isolated sound. i am not on an airplane, i still need to be able to hear some sound.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
The Bose in-ears don't isolate sound, meaning they don't create a seal between your music and the external environment...

And using noise-cancelling earphones WHILE skating (as the OP stated he wanted to use these for) on the street is crazy and dangerous. You should not isolate yourself from the environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.