headphone jack not working, "AppleOnboardAudio"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpaperknife, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mrpaperknife macrumors member

Hi,
    I'm having a problem with my audio headphone jack on my powermac g5. It has just stopped working, however my external speakers are working just fine.
    If found this in the console:

Oct 3 18:32:10 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0xFFFFFFFF == mMatchingIndex" failed in "AppleOnboardAudio/AppleOnboardAudio.cpp" at line 150 goto Exit

And when I search for this on the internet I didn't find anything useful. I have checked all my relevant volume controls and power switches and everything seems to be in order, though that doesn't mean I havn't over looked something. But like I said, my external speakers are working fine, its just the headphone port that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks for any help

2. mrpaperknife thread starter macrumors member

After a little more trouble shooting, I have determined that my audio malfuction effects only Quicktime and effects both the headphones and external speakers. The audio works fine in iTunes, both with headphones and with the external speakers.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have had a similar problem when running VLC on my G5 Powermac, Pre Tiger. I never got to the terminal, but in my sound preferences control panel I found something strange. The Audio out settings would change (by themselves) to the Optical connection whenever I opened VLC.

I was not able to change it back when the program was open, and I could only swap it back once (meaning during one boot, I could only change back from optical 1 time, otherwise I had to reboot to get it back to the line out (analogue)).

I am not sure if this is a related issue, as Quicktime is created by Apple. Have you been playing with any Quicktime audio settings by chance?

[​IMG]

4. mrpaperknife thread starter macrumors member

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member