Headphone jack problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Magicmullet, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Magicmullet macrumors newbie

Hello.

I came across with a situation, in which I do not know what is normal and what is not. More specifically, I purchased a set of external speakers for my iMac G5, and while I tried to hook them up, the what seems to me as a perfectly standard gold coated miniplug wouldn't fit all the way to the headphone jack. Instead, the fit is approximately 3 millimetres from complete. Should it go all the way in? On the other hand, the iMac recognizes the miniplug ok, so there shouldn't be a problem. I just do not dare to use more force, as I'm afraid of breaking the jack. Anyone else with similar (or different) experiences with the headphone jack?

Cheers in advance,

MM

2. Todd H macrumors regular

Todd H

Hmmmm. I know on my Intel iMac, the plug doesn't go in completely because the jack is also an optical out as well. Could be the same for the G5 iMac. If that's the case, then it is normal.

3. Magicmullet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Todd and thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the headphone jack in my iMac G5 rev. C is indeed optical out as well. Based on your experience I shouldn't have worries then. I'm glad I did not use excessive force.

Thanks again,

MM

4. Todd H macrumors regular

Todd H