Headphone monitoring: How to get stereo?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quincy, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Quincy macrumors newbie

Hey, all:

This is probably an ignorant question, as I am a MAJOR computer-recording newbie (just got Garageband 48 hrs. ago), but here goes . . .

I have GB2 on a new iMac. I'm doing guitar and vocals through an ART tube pre-amp, from there into an mAudio FastTrack (the latter being primarily for the USB connection). I bought these decent stereo headphones (Sony MDR-V700s) for monitoring. I live in a tight space and can't keep everyone awake with real monitor speakers.

Problem is, the headphones have a 1/4" stereo jack. And no matter where I plug this thing in--i.e., to the back of the computer, or into the headphone jack on the FastTrack--the process of going from 1/4" to 1/8", with an adaptor, cuts out one of the channels. I get sound only in the left channel.

The obvious solution would be to cut out the adaptor, I realize (and I should add here that I've checked on my stereo to make sure the headphones work properly in both channels: they do). But I don't see a 1/4" jack anywhere that would receive them. There's one on the back of the ART pre-amp, but that'll always be taken up with outputting the signal, either into the FastTrack or by some more direct cable-to-USB method.

Any ideas? It's such a boneheaded problem, but I'm sort of stuck for solutions.

Many thanks,
    Q

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Check to see if the 1/8" plug is a steroe plug (2 black bands).

If it isn't , go get a stereo adaptor, if it is, try another adaptor anyway...

Sounds like you ahve an adaptor problem... ;)

The best adaptors are short cables that have a 1/8" plug on one end and a 14" socket on the other, the all-in-one design isn't too reliable from 1/4 to 1/8".

3. Quincy thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Headphone monitoring: How to get stereo?

Thanks a lot. I'll probably end up getting a new adaptor.

It looks, though, like the thing I have (Monster iStudioLink) is just what you're describing. Short cable, 1/4" to 1/8", two black bands on the 1/8" plug.

On the other hand, it's designed specifically for electric guitars, so maybe it's mono?

Again, the advice is much appreciated.

Q

4. Quincy thread starter macrumors newbie

Um, duh . . .

Ignore my last. I just looked at the tech description on the site where I bought the Monster iStudioLink.

I guess the part where it says "mono cable" was probably meant to suggest that it's a mono cable.

Thanks, WinterMute. Sometimes one needs to have the obvious pointed out.

On my way to RadioShack.

Q.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Two black bands can also mean "balanced" cabling.

We all make mistakes occasionally, buying wrong adaptor= not too bad, kissing wrong girl at party= bad mistake, pushing wrong button on Nuclear Attack Submarine= Very bad mistake....

I need coffee.

6. JonoColesUK macrumors member

JonoColesUK

brilliant, simply brilliant

lol :p