Headphone port on macbook "popping"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by A is for Apple, Jun 25, 2006.

1. A is for Apple macrumors newbie

Hi there, I wonder if anyone could help..... I've got a slight problem with the headphone port on my MacBook.

At the moment I have JBL creature speakers plugged in (which I've never had a problem with before, they've been in my iMac G3 and in my boyfriends G4 powerbook)
    Whenever I'm not playing music they make a really loud popping noise, This happens when I close or open my MacBook, when I click any link on any website, be it on Safari or Firefox........Actually it does it when I'm not even doing anything!!!
    It doesn't however make any noise if my speakers are not plugged in (if I'm using the built in speakers)
    Sorry if I'm being a bit vague or if i've missed out any important information.
    Any ideas as to what it could be or any help in general would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Cath.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't have any issues, I connect my MacBook Pro to Samson studio monitors (running full blast all the time, I adjust the volume on the MBP). What happens if you connect headphones?

Sounds like there might be a problem with the D/A converter, possibly picking up interferance from the rest of the computer....

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Not really sure what this might be but when I had some popping noises coming from the speakers of my PB G4 I reset the PMU and that seemed to do the trick.

4. A is for Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just plugged headphones in now, It has the same problem.

Thanks for the advice, how do I go about doing this??

Thanks again for the advice guys!!

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

6. A is for Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? What speakers do you have?
    Have you asked anyone about it on the board before?
    I'm baffled!!

cath.

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

8. A is for Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers thanks for the link, I'll give it a go.

I'll let you know if it works or not!

thanks again
    cath.

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I've experienced the problem with both Creative and Nexxtech speakers.

I haven't made a fuss over it yet. I only have the problem every other day or so. A restart usually gets rid the problem. I find it occurs when opening a tab in firefox (like you), and just before a contact signs on in MSN. Its quite a loud pop..:rolleyes:

10. A is for Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there, thanks so much for your help. It seems to have resolved the issue, no more loud popping noises any more. but if it should happen again is it safe to follow the same procedure?
    I mean how many times can I really do this? Are there any other solutions or ideas I could do before having to resort to this one.
    Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions I just want to make sure that I'm not going to be making more problems than I am solving them.
    try going to this page
    Satori recommended me doing this and ChrisG pointed out the help page.
    Thanks so much guys!!!
    cath

11. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

There shouldn't be any problem with resetting the PMU as often as you want/need. However, if you need to do it very often it would suggest that the problem needs attention. If this is the case get apple to look at it while it is still under warranty.

12. A is for Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for all your help and advice.....
    You are life savers, I don't know how much longer I could've put up with it!!

:D cath :D

13. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Thanks for the link. :D

14. djtant macrumors newbie

headphones out popping noise

i have been through 2 macbooks Jan 2008 model and a may 2008 model. both pop out of the headphones out when plug into powered speakers. It doesn't pop when i have headphones in. It must be a HORRIBLE design flaw on macs part and there is nothing for us to do. First MACBOOK I Tried reinstalling OSX, motherboard, and had it sent to APPLE and they couldn't fix it. For a multimedia machine i am disappointed. Does the new macbook pro model pop???

15. Datsunpost macrumors newbie

I bought my Mac Book Pro 13inch in Feb 2011. I can confirm that there is a strange infrequent popping noise that comes into my headphones from the head phone jack. that's what brought me here via google seeking if anyone else had this issue.