Headphone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Rags, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Rags macrumors member

I'm looking for a set of cans in the $150 to $250 range. I don't want to spend too much because my source isn't going to have a very powerful amp.

So far I've looked into Bose's TriPort phones and two from Sennheiser, the HD 575 and HD 590. I doubt I can power the HD590's with my iPod or Power Mac so I'll probably scratch it off the list.

I haven't done that much research as of late and would appreciate advise :) I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser's lower end model over the Bose because of the modular design and thicker speaker wire. Comfort wise they're both great and if Bose will answer my email's about repairing the wire if I break it I might lean the other way...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My first set of great speakers was a pair of Sennheiser headphones. I now have Bose speakers front and center. The only thing I can say about the Bose headphones I've seen and tried is that humidity will build up with the closed cup design, where the Sennheisers have the Open-Aire design and will be good for long periods of time.

3. vincentmeanie macrumors newbie

look at the grado's even at 80 dollars they blow away most of the competition for over all sound quality, my friend has a pair for his ibook and likes them even more than his sony V-700 dj headphones.

4. Rags thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's a very good point and I've never concidered that. Have you (or anyone) ever tried the HD575's? For the 5min I tried them they sounded like what I'm looking for.

Is "grado" a brand or model :confused:

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

well...

I just go to the junkstore and get those cool earphones that light up for only $3.99, I'd never spend $80 bucks on earphones, cuz I'd buy and Airport Card :D

6. Rags thread starter macrumors member

Think of it as getting the sound quality of a nice stereo system without the expense of audiophile grade equipment. Of course you're never going to have as good bass as you're going to get with a full stereo system but you're still getting high quality sound and saving a bunch of cash. Plus, you can't take a large system with you on the go :)

7. vincentmeanie macrumors newbie

http://www.gradolabs.com/

8. Rags thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll most defenitally check them out. I've done a little Goggling already and I've yet to find a negitive opinion. My search continues...

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Truthfully, I don't remember if I had tried those but I can look for them. The only Sennheisers I have now are ear-buds and they're great compared to the rest of those. :)

10. Rags thread starter macrumors member

I'm seriously thinking about getting a pair of RS125's. After going to a local mom-and-pop's audio store and tried a few pairs on, the 125's sound as good as Senn's HD 600 and both hooked up to a every expensive set of stereo equipment. Half the price but not as comfortable as any of Senn's. You can power them with a discman or in my case an iPod easally too.

Thanks for the help.