headphones for jogging

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wrc fan, Apr 6, 2005.

1. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'm looking for some headphones for my iPod shuffle to use while jogging. The ear buds just don't stay in my ears (I guess my ears are a funny shape or something). Anyone have a recommendation of some headphones that aren't too expensive, maybe with the street style of the band being in the back?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have the same problem, from what i have found the street style will work or any other ones that basically clip to your ear to be held in place, i think sony has a blue pair of earbuds like this

3. wrc fan thread starter macrumors 65816

wrc fan

yeah, I'd also like if it's not too much to ask for a single short cord so i could just have it go from my one ear to my arm where the ipod is strapped on. too many wires + me = high chance of clutzyness resulting in injury.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i use the sony sports mdr-g57 (street style). yeah i don't like the long cord

5. wrc fan thread starter macrumors 65816

wrc fan

those look good. how long is the cord? would it be ok, to go from the left side to the ipod on the right side, or is it be too long?

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm not sure b/c i don't use the arm band. but the cord is pretty long (not the longest cord around though). i carry the shuffle in my right hand and kinda bunch up the cord a little in my right hand with it

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Your cheapest option is the in-ear Apple headphones....

I've tried everything else. If you run more than an hour or so, you'll have to dry off the buds and your ear canal from the sweat (they will eventually fall out), but I run with them 40 miles a week or so.

They eventually die from the corrosive sweat, but again, they are relatively cheap.

8. wrc fan thread starter macrumors 65816

wrc fan

They just don't stay in my ears though. And it's not like I go for long jogs, I'm horribly out of shape and just starting and within 5 minutes they are popping out of my ears. I guess I'll go with the Sony's that twoodcc mentioned, unless anyone else has a better suggestion.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the only reason i see in going in a different pair from mine is if you can find another street style with a shorter cord.. other than that, i have no problems with mine. the cord isn't really long, but i would like it a little shorter.

i just bunch up the cord in my hand with my shuffle. i run everyday and yeah they get wet from sweat, but you don't have to worry about them falling off or anything. and so far they haven't fallen apart or anything

10. barthrh macrumors newbie

The Sony in-ears are your cheapest bet. I forget the model number, but in-ear with better holding power than Apple's. They are very soft and have 3 plug sizes. They sweat up after a while but never fall out. The downside with any in-ear is that the bouncing cord transmits to the ear; you can hear the "tug". Not major if your music is fast & loud. As for the cord, I us the armband with my Mini and just run the cord in my shirt. I use a wire clip (like for a headset) to clip the wire to my shirt top this keeps the cord managed and majorly reduces (almost eliminates) the cord bounce/tug on the ear.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

in-ear plugs just won't cut it when running. maybe a little jogging, depends on how fast you are running i guess.

13. grubber macrumors newbie

I have the Sony h.ear headphones and I love them. They are extremely comfortable, sound great, and stay put. I got mine from Amazon (link here ) but I've seen them at Target and Walmart I think. And for $10, it's a steal.

14. wrc fan thread starter macrumors 65816

wrc fan

how long is the cord?

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4 ft

16. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

In-ear headphones for jogging

I use the Etymotic ER-6i for jogging (50 minutes per day) and there are definately some issues with those.

I have my iPod on a SportWrap arm-band and the cord tucked into that so the tugging noise of the cords is minimised this way.

On hot days, when I sweat a lot, the headphones get moist and start sucking air into the ears; they do not fall out or anything but the slight fart noise gets annoying. The solution to this problem is to push the headphones further into the ear before starting.

It is not all bad though. They sound great, block out most environmental sounds and they are perfectly priced as iPod peripherals. One big advantage of in-ear headphones is that due to the noise isolation you can listen to them at a lower volume setting than conventional headphones, thus making the battery last longer.