Headphones for MacBook PRO

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blazer5913, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2004
    Just in the market for a nice pair of headphones. I'm a college student who does alot of video editing, but in my dorm room, so I'm constantly using headphones instead of my speakers, but right now its the Apple Earbuds, and they just hurt after awhile. So I will be using them for video and audio editing, as well as just noise cancelling headphones for the subway with my iPod. Right now, I'm trying to keep the price around $150, which led me immediately to the Bose Triports. From what I've tried in the Apple Store, these are extremely comfortable, block out sound well, and sound pretty damn good (compared to my apple buds! haha). Or should I jump to the Bose QuietComforts? I know these are a bit mor expensive, around 200 or so? Are they really worth the extra 50 bucks or just stick with the Triports? Or any other suggestions?
  2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    I have the Shure e2C's and they are superb!!!

May not be teh best for thump..thump... thump, but honestly the clarity is super!! I can listen to songs on those and hear things and little bits that I previoulsy couldn't on my good desktop speakers. They are like cinema sound for your ears!

The bass is great, but not thumping. Personally I prefer clarity over bass, but that's personal preference.
    They are in ear ones, so may take a few days to get use to, but when you get them, you will never go back!!!

Once again - super!!!!

About £60

P.S. get the clear ones, the black don't look as good.

Dan :)
  3. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    I'd go with either the Bose On-Ear headphones or the QuietComfort3 headphones.

I own a pair of QuietComfort3s, just got them yesterday and absolutely love them. I used them in the library between classes today and had a much better time studying in quiet.

I think the On-Ear type of form factor is more comfortable and they're smaller making them easy to travel with.

If you like in-ear but want comfort, I love my Bose In-Ear headphones. Very comfortable. I've had them for around a week now and have been very happy with them. Two different purposes for me, running/school, and music/school. So really depends on the day and what i'll be doing.

I got the QuietComfort3s for free though, so I can understand if the price is a bit high for you. I can tell you they are really really good in a college setting though.
  4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    If you want in-ears, then B&O A8s are fantastic. I use them and I think they're just about the most comfortable earphones I've ever used. They sound great, vocals are VERY natural, but they do take a bit of getting used to sonically.

You'd love them though, I can tell you...

They come with a cool leather pouch too. Don't buy them off eBay though, they're almost all fakes...
  5. JHacker macrumors 6502

Aug 27, 2006
    East Coast
    I have the A8s and they rock! I recommend them too.
  6. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2004
    I was thinking more over ear headphones. What about the TriPorts? No go on these?
  7. JHacker macrumors 6502

Aug 27, 2006
    East Coast
    I actually have the Triports too. They are great headphones. I used to use my Triports for music recording and mixing, but for that purpose, the A8s are so crisp and clear and they don't color the music at all so what I hear is what I get. The Triports have a pretty good amount of bass. They are actually very different sounds but I like them both.

If your Apple store has the Triports hooked up to an iPod and you can listen and like it, then go for it. Mine have been good to me.
  8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
  9. camking macrumors member

Sep 4, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    I'd strongly recommend Sennheiser. HD 25's are good, think they cost about $180 that side of the pond. They also do a cheaper version (HD 25sp) which are also a decent pair off headphones. They'll last for years and are pretty much industructable. I know a lot of pro DJ's use these for both DJ'ing and making music, they should be good for video editing as they are designed to be used for monitoring and are still small and comfortable enough to use with you mp3 player if you wished.

Would def, recommend Sennheiser. Headphone masters!
  10. playm0de macrumors member

Jun 18, 2006
    Shure E2C's or E3C's. I have the latter and they are amazing at blocking out sound...comfortable as well.
  11. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2006
  12. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    I have a pair of Triports. I've had them for about 2 years and love them. I got them on sale at an Apple Store for $99. They are lightweight, which means a lot if you plan on listening for extended periods. I'm not a music professional, but they sound great to me. Much better than cheaper $55-$60 sets I've owned in the past. Some people hate Bose (seems the main complaint is the performance for the price), so you may wish to find a store where you can listen to the Triports along with other brands and compare for yourself.

One thing about the Triports...there were (well, are if they haven't redesigned them) two little plastic nibs that broke as soon as I bought the set. One drop of super glue fixed the problem completely. Look fine and have had no more problems out of them in 2 years.
  13. tarjan macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
    If you want to move up to audiophile level, go with either the etymotic er4 series or a set of Grado sr80 headphones. Either one would be great, with a comfort edge to the grado but since it is an open design, it isn't silent to those around you.

The er4 is in ear design using a rubber flange. It is comfortable to wear for a few hours, at least to me, and I can't stand ear buds. I have logged a few hundred hours using both the er4s and er6i earphones and I would rate them as some of the best speakers I have heard. Due to their noise blocking I also find I barely need any volume on them, which is probably great for my outlook to hear very well long into my old age.
  14. rglatter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    ive never used the triports but I have used the quiet comfort 2 headphones those are some great headphones but a bit to expensive for me. I went to my local guitar center and got a pair of sennheiser hd 280 pro headphones. they are great and were only about 100 bucks if I remember corectly.

I was looking for some that would drown out all of the background noise because I have a little brother (7) and he likes to run around the house screaming his head off so these headphones are the best ones that ive found to drown out that noise.

I have done some audio mixing with them and I was recording all of my podcasts using these. They also are great for traveling. Ive used them on the plane and even with nothing playing in the background they have blocked out most of the jet engine noise, even when im sitting right next to the engine where they block out the windows.