headphones in powerbook = sound only from left side?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by orijinal, Aug 24, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

i can only hear music/sound from the left side of my headphones, when plugged into my powerbook. my powerbook is running on battery power, and this happens with all headphones.

does this happen for anyone else?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

If you use the internal speakers, is there sound from both sides, or only one?

3. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

both sides

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Have you checked your audio settings?
    System Preferences > Sound...then make sure that the audio is center panned. (The panning can be set different for speaker playback, or headphone playback.)

If that is ok, check out Audio MIDI Settings in the Utilities folder.
    Make sure that both left and right channels are unmuted, etc.

Also make sure what ever program you are using to play audio (iTunes, etc.) is playing a stereo file. If you are playing back a mono file you will only get the left channel.

Is the headphone plug pushed in all the way? Try various sound files. If all else fails, try a restart. Sometimes weird things happen, and a restart will fix them. (My PB used to set the panning to hard left on startup occasionally, but seems to have been fixed with 10.4.2)

Sorry if any of the suggestions insulted your intelligence! Not my intention, just too many "little" things that could be the problem. Good luck!

5. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

lol, well the sound settings fixed it.

the slider WAS all the way to the left.

weird how it sounded like there was sound from both sides of the powerbook...

thanks everyone, macrumors is always a big help for switchers like me.

thanks!

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Glad it works now!

FYI, when you plug in headphone, CoreAudio changes the Output to "Headphones", which has it's own properties associated with it. If you unplug the headphones it will revert to "Internal Speakers", which has it's own properties associated with it as well.

Now the question is, why was your headphone settings set panned hard to the left??? Strange indeed.

7. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

There's a bug. Apple knows about it, it's reproducable (can't remember how).

8. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Good to know. That may explain a problem some of the undergrads have been having in our elec music lab. I just figured it was user error on their parts!

9. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I was just about to make a thread about this. I found that my PB G4 gradually pans the speaker balance to the left, usually over a period of a few days. I thought I was just occasionally hitting a shortcut key combination that slide the balance slider, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Any articles on this bug (if they exist) would be great. Anyone have any?

10. Miner Willy macrumors regular

Similar experience

Under 10.3 my powerbook used to do a similar thing. It usually happened after the machine crashed. The sound slider went all the way to the left.

11. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

exact same thing happened to me, i posted on the forums and the same solution fixed me too. if its a but it better get fixed soon because i didn 't set it to only the leftside

12. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I just had the same problem with my brand new ibook running 10.4.2. Was freaking me out for a bit. Strange bug. I never used to use headphones but I've been calling my friend in London using skype and I have been using the headphones every time I call. Maybe the bug is a result of plugging and unplugging headphones at certain times or just doing it frequently?