Headphones in Startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apple, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Ok this is wierd and it keeps happening.

Earlier today I installed some microsoft update and then restarted my computer. I had to go do something and when I came back the computer was still on the white screen with the apple (after 30 mins.) So I waited there and it still wouldnt start back after 40 mins and then im thinkin "Im screwed." So then I realize my ipod headphones are plugged into my ibook (g4) and the second I pulled them out it went to the next screen where it finally loaded. I installed a security update after that and reinstalled once again, this time purposely leaving the headphones in. Again the computer stalled until the headphones were pulled out. Once again I restarted, this time without any updates and the problem didn't repeat. Any clue on whats causin this?

I know I could just unplug the things but Im just wondering why this does this, and is any software causin it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's bizarre. Was it running on battery power? Was there anything else plugged in?

My iBook starts up normally with the headphones plugged in. :confused:

3. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Weird.

I can't say much here, but I can say that pulling in/taking out a 3.5mm audio jack of any kind isn't just pulling in/taking out.

The computer recognizes that something has changed (look in the sound control panel when plugging it in), so there must be some sort of software in OSX to control this... this 'software' could be buggered (or corrupt as I probably should say).

4. Apple thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple

I was using a power chord, and the minute i would pull the headphones out (Apple Ipod 4G 'phones) it would commence startup.