Headphones on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karlwig, Mar 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I've got some questions for iPhone's owners regarding headphones support. I've heard that the jack plug is a little weird and doesn't support all types of headphones.... so here we go:

1) Are headphones like Koss Porta Pro supported? I use this a lot for my iPod, would be dissappointing if it doesn't work. If not, what do you use yourself? Is the quality of the included ones any good?

2) How do you handle incoming calls when headphones are plugged in (not the included ones)? Obviously you can't talk thorugh them, unless they have a microphone, but do you have to unplugg them every time in order to get sound in/out of the iPhone and make it work like a "normal" phone?

3) Can you have the incoming sound through your headphones and speak into the iPhone mic when using headphones without a mic (unlike the included ones)? I know it would look kinda silly, like holding a walkie-talkie, but at least you can keep the headphones on.

Tanks for your answers, and sorry if this has been asked before. It's just kind of important to me before finally ordering an iPhone, as good sound quality really matters to me, as well as being able to answer calls easilly - if not, I may as well just use my iPod and phone separately.

2. macrumors 68030

gibbz

You can pick up a cheap headphone adapter from Belkin that makes all headphones compatible.

I am pretty sure that I have had someone call in while headphones where in. I am almost positive that I was able to hear their voice through the earbuds and could talk through the iPhone mic.

3. macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah dude, $10 solves your problems.... Saw 2 diff. models at Radio Shack yesterday.

4. macrumors 68000

1) any headphones work
    whats different is the headphone jack is recessed, meaning you may need an adapter. i know apple, along with belkin and a couple of other manufacturers make adapters. look on the apple online store

3) yes, you can select the audio source one the call is in progress

5. macrumors 68030

Perhaps you would be more interested in adapter with built-in mic, such as Griffin SmartTalk (around $20), Monster iSoniTalk (around $15), or Shure MPA-3C (around $40). Cable management is my only criticism with these adapters.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I'll probably buy an adapter then, although I don't like the size of most of them, and I think that Apple could easilly made a better sollution for this in the first place. It seems kind of silly making a $500 iPod/phone that doesn't support normal headphones... oh well.

7. macrumors newbie

Frawley

Not silly to the third party suppliers who will make a killing off selling new stuff ;)

8. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I use the Bose In-Ear...

Headphones and you don't need the adapter; you don't need to shave the tips of the plug; all you do is plug-n-play. When I get an incoming call, the music or video sound fades and I'm able to speak into the iPhone microphone and hold a conversation with the Bose Headphones in place. The iPhone microphone works well at an arms length distance for me. :cool: