Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smooshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Hi everyone,
I have a 12' ibook g4 that i just got last week. I'm trying to watch a video lecture on it right now, and my headphones are only playing into one ear! These are Sony MDR-v300's, and both sides are working on my ipod, so it's not the headphones. Anyone know anything I can try to fix this? It's really frustrating..

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
smooshy said:
Hi everyone,
I have a 12' ibook g4 that i just got last week. I'm trying to watch a video lecture on it right now, and my headphones are only playing into one ear! These are Sony MDR-v300's, and both sides are working on my ipod, so it's not the headphones. Anyone know anything I can try to fix this? It's really frustrating..

This may be a really stupid question but are you sure they are plugged in correctly? If you only plug them half way you often get sound on 1 side only. If that's not it do you have another set to try?

smooshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
robbieduncan said:
This may be a really stupid question but are you sure they are plugged in correctly? If you only plug them half way you often get sound on 1 side only. If that's not it do you have another set to try?

Yeah, they're fullly plugged in.. I can try another set at home tonight, but I'd like to use this while I'm at school today... thanks for trying though!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
You can test the headphones by plugging them in slowly while wearing them. You should at least hear a pop in both sets.

Finder-->System Preferences->Hardware>Sound>Output Tab>Balance

Is the slider in the middle?

Are you using any audio routers? If so, just turn them off and see what happens.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Eniregnat said:
You can test the headphones by plugging them in slowly while wearing them. You should at least hear a pop in both sets.

Finder-->System Preferences->Hardware>Sound>Output Tab>Balance

Is the slider in the middle?

Are you using any audio routers? If so, just turn them off and see what happens.

This happened to me on my PB, too.

The slider was shifted over.

IIRC it's a bug in 10.4.2.

but then again I am at school and I am tiiired and on a windows machine! BUT check the output pref. It's all good.

If everything is right, and it's still doing that, try diff. pairs of headphones.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Does sound come out of both speakers during this lecture or any other audio? I hear it is more common for the speakers to go out, as opposed to the headphone jack..

Also, are you sure this lecture was recorded in "stereo"? How does iTunes sound?

image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.