Headset Recommendations for Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by feakbeak, Nov 21, 2005.

1. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I'm starting to get into WoW with some friends and coworkers and would like to get a nice headset to use for gaming. I have several questions:

1. I'm considering wired or Bluetooth headsets. I have a RAZR phone and wouldn't mind having a BT headset I could use for gaming on my Mac and with my phone - is that feasible? I'm concerned about dealing with batteries, pairing with two devices, lower sound quality, comfortability of the form factor, etc. Is going BT worth it?

2. I want something comfortable to wear for extended periods of time but I'm not sure I want something that isolates the sound. Wouldn't it be best to have something on one ear so you can hear the people you're playing with via the headset but still hear the game sounds via your speakers. Is it best to route everything through the headset?

3. When it comes to services what do yo prefer? Skype, TeamSpeak, others?

I am looking for recommendations with these questions in mind. I would like good sound quality (headphone(s) and mic) and good build quality. I would like to not spend more than about $50 but I'm willing to bend a little if the product seems to be a really good value for the money.

Thanks for your input.

Edit: I would also like to use the headset on my Mac Mini which has no mic jack, so I guess that leaves me with Bluetooth or USB headsets, no 3.5 mm jack headsets.

2. Atlasland macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in an answer to this question too.

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

4. feakbeak thread starter macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Glad there is interest... wish there was some input. I was tempted to post on WoW's official boards but I wanted some input from the Mac-aspect since I would like to use this on my Mac too. I play WoW on my Mac Mini and on my PC. I'm assuming most of the WoW board members are PC gamers... since an overwhelming majority of gamers are PC users.

I was looking at the Plantronics DSP500's which aren't too pricy and most people seem to like them well enough but some of the reviews were critical of the software on the Mac side which made me hold off on purchasing them. Granted, some of the reviews I read were several years old and the software may have been updated significantly since. Anyone here have experience with the DSP500's?