headset ?'s, skype, etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by altaprod, Jan 25, 2007.

1. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

OK, I've searched other threads and still haven't gotten clear answers to these questions:
    1) If, in using Skype, I want to talk using a small wireless headset (with both a mic and headphone) what do I buy? bluetooth headset?
    2) If I do buy a bluetooth headset, is that USB? or is my computer already set-up to automatically attach to such a device like it does with my other peripherals?
    3) Can I have two headsets so two people can talk without being tied together with cables?

I have an iBook G4, OS version 10.4.8, processor 1.42 GHz, 512 MB and I use the iSight camera when using Skype. I (we) want to be able to walk around the apartment without being tethered to the laptop. Ideally I could travel a few meters away.

4) If the headset works for skype can I also use it to listen to iTunes? or on my iPod?

Thanks for any advice, buying advice or redirects to threads I missed.

Ken:confused:

2. andriella macrumors member

I have a Logitech USB headset which I use for Skype, which connects to the computer via USB (obviously).

I have also used a Logitech Bluetooth headset, which connects wirelessly via Bluetooth, but I find I get better sound quality with the USB one. I don't think IBooks have Bluetooth, but I could be wrong. You could buy a bluetooth adapter if you want to go that route.

3. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

I guess Macintosh has some work to do in this area . . .

It seems there's more work for the Macintosh team to make using Bluetooth headphones, (Skype headsets), etc. as easy to use as the other "plug and play" peripherals, i.e. cameras iPods, etc.

Too bad. I'll just have to wait until they or a 3rd party offers a solution for me.

Thanks for the reply.

:(

4. mmc291 macrumors newbie

1) Yes bluetooth wold be your best route
    2)No bluetooth is a wireless protocol, USB is not (for the most part). I believe your iBook has Bluetooth if it was produced after July 26, 2005.
    3) Um, not that I know of. I think this would require two skype applications open at once and some patience to set this up.
    4) you cant use the headset for stereo sound, but i believe audio can go through the headset by fiddling with the Audio settings in System Preferences. The iPod doesn't support bluetooth

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Do you have the iBook G4 with the Radeon Mobility 9550? As far as I know, that's the only one with built-in Bluetooth technology.

I'm not sure whether any Apple system supports the stereo headset profile for iTunes or any multiple channel application but a USB-attached adapter should be able to do that.

6. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

Does this mean I have bluetooth?

LOL, I really feel ignorant looking at this.:eek: Any help in deciphering this into "yes you have bluetooth" or "no you don't."

:confused: I'm shocked at my own ignorance of my computer. Here's what's listed under hardware: bluetooth.

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 1.7.8f2
    Hardware Settings:
    Address: 00-11-24-b2-75-09
    Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio
    Firmware Version: 3.1965 (3.1965)
    Bluetooth Power: On
    Discoverable: Yes
    HCI Version: 3 ($3)
    HCI Revision: 1965 ($7ad)
    LMP Version: 3 ($3)
    LMP Subversion: 1965 ($7ad)
    Device Type (Major): Computer
    Device Type (Complete): Laptop Computer
    Composite Class Of Device: 1057036 ($10210c)
    Device Class (Major): 1 ($1)
    Device Class (Minor): 3 ($3)
    Service Class: 129 ($81)
    Requires Authentication: No
    Services:
    Bluetooth File Transfer:
    Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public
    Requires Authentication: Yes
    State: Disabled
    Bluetooth File Exchange:
    Folder for accepted items: ~/Documents
    When other items are accepted: Ask
    When PIM items are accepted: Ask
    When receiving items: Prompt for each file
    State: Enabled
    Incoming Serial Ports:
    Serial Port 1:
    Name: Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
    RFCOMM Channel: 3
    Outgoing Serial Ports:
    Serial Port 1:
    Address:
    Name: Bluetooth-Modem
    RFCOMM Channel: 0

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It looks as if it's there

Bluetooth Power: On says to me that they must have the hardware there.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes, you have bluetooth. It was included with the last models of the iBook.

Now the problem is, does anyone make a bluetooth headset worth a $*@!

I'm curious what you come up with - personally, I was looking for a good over the ear style, affordable bluetooth headset with mic and came up short. Ended up with my logitech 350 USB headset and its okay for the cost ($35)

9. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

You could go here - look for the link to Mac-compatible gear at the bottom of the page to see what's on offer. You'll at least know that what you're buying is going to work.
    I know its not a headset, but I got an Ipevo handset which works really well with my MBP - its usb of course.

EDIT - sorry, just read your OP properly! Have a look at this, which looks as though it might do some of what you want.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I use a Jabba 150 headset and it works OK, it sometimes needs messing around the preferences to work out which output to use but still, it works.

11. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Motorola H700

I have a Motorola H700 that I "paired" with my Wife's MacBook C2D. The "pairing" process was no problem however, when I attempt to use it with Skype I constantly get a "communication error". I deleted the device, "repaired" the device and continue to receive the message.

For now we are using a Logictech USB headset that works with no problems?

12. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

bousoku, thanks for confirming the bluetooth! I'm excited to know that that part of the equation is solved.

kingjr3, thanks for confirming and the link. It says I have "built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR". any ideas what EDR means? I'll keep you posted if I find a good headset worth $*@!, hehe. Of course living in Japan I've gotten used to paying high-dollar for everything.

stevep, thanks for the link to compatible gear. The second link to the Skype headset appears to be for Windows only, so I'll keep searching.

thanks andriella, mmc291, Eraserhead, and sblasl for sharing your experiences.

I'll hit the electronics stores in Nagoya this weekend and see what I can find.
    Thanks again for all the help, everyone. I really appreciate it and will post what I find.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Enhanced Data Rate (3x faster than previous version) - See http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

14. ascender macrumors 68000

So have I got this right, that I can use a standard bluetooth headset via my iMac to work with Skype?

15. nutts macrumors member

I use a Jabra BT250 bluetooth headset for Skype, and have done for quite some time with my MBP, my old MacBook and my 2003 iBook G4.
    It works fine, although the quality isn't nearly as good as a set of headphones (and built-in mic). Also, crackling starts if you move around too much, or move too far (a few metres) from the machine.

Although only the 2005 iBook models had bluetooth built-in as standard, it *was* optional on all iBook G4s as far back as 2003, as mine from October 2003 had it and wifi (b/g) as a BTO option.

16. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I just discovered there's a specific bluetooth option in iChat too. Just in preferences. Might be worth a look if anyone's trying with that program. Obviously it's Mac to Mac, but from recent experience with the two, the quality of voice and video calls is much better with iChat than Skype.

17. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

new BT phone at my Apple Store

I went to my nearest Apple store in Nagoya (about a 10 minute bike ride from my apartment) and saw they now carry a BT phone. This is the 1st time I've seen this line of product at the store.

It was a Bluetake BT400GX, http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT400GX.htm

Anyone have any experience with Bluetake or the BT400GX?

18. automator macrumors newbie

I use the Jabra BT250 - it works with skype, iChat, iTunes and iMovie. I'd imagine it would work with almost any other app that uses the built-in speakers and mic. Here's an article on using the Jabra BT250 for iChat AV and Skype - http://pinoymaclovers.blogspot.com/2006/03/using-bluetooth-headset-with-ichat-av.html

All the bluetooth headsets i've seen so far are those small, single earpiece types. I have yet to see a bluetooth headset that actually looks like a regular headphone with earpieces for the left and right ear.

For iChat and Skype, I actually prefer using a USB headset. My Jabra BT250 gives far LESS voice and sound quality compared the the USB headset I use. I have the Plantronics .Audio 85 - http://pinoymaclovers.blogspot.com/2007/01/plantronics-audio85-usb-headset.html

Ofcourse, with the Bluetooth headset, I have more freedom to move around because it is, after all, wireless. But I'd still take sound quality vs. mobility when it comes to chatting over Skype or iChat. But the plantronics headset does have a long cord so I can actually move around a bit when using it.