Healing power of electricity

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm a bit old-skool when it comes to Star Trek but I kinda remember Bones waving various devices around on the bodies of injured Enterprise crew members to enable miraculous and almost instantaneous healing...

No, it's not April the 1st... this could be a genuine breakthrough in medicine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1830986,00.html

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

One of those moments that you know something new is on the horizon.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Wow, it really is incredible what they can do nowadays. I especially find it amazing when things seen in Star Trek actually start to move into the realm of reality out of that of science fiction.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

One of the things I love about going to the chiropractor is the electrical stimulation/massage. For those that aren't aware, two pairs of electrodes are attached to the skin (over the troubled area; for me, the lower back) and a light electrical current is run between each pair, thereby massaging and soothing the muscles. I come very close to falling asleep each time I go....

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

What the hell is '15 times weaker' supposed to mean? What level of strength above and beyond a AA battery are we coming down from? Do they mean 1/15th of the power of a AA? :rolleyes:

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I thought that was pretty clear... of course, I await your peer-reviewed paper in Nature to clarify and further this research.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Lovin' the sarcasm. :rolleyes:

My point was to question whether the phrase '15 times weaker' makes any sense or not. Whether or not you understood what they meant is besides the point. How you do put '15 times weaker' in it's stated form into an equation? (Not saying it can't be done, but how do you do it?)

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If an AA battery's voltage = 1, then 15x weaker would be 1/15 the voltage of an AA battery... to me at least.

9. Lau Guest

That was the impression I also got...

As for the whole electrical healing thing, sounds great. I wonder how far they can take it.

10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

You're criticising the accuracy of a small piece in a broadsheet written for a general audience? Talk about pedantry... I didn't link or quote from the paper itself nor the article in Nature where I would expect a greater precision of language.

Can't see the wood for the trees, methinks.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Indeed.. I wonder about the side effects as well.

Frankly, if this proved to be fruitful at all, I suspect the military would be the first to jump on this for development of battlefront triage. Imagine the implications to a soldier's survivability chances if this proves to be a real application??

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Forgive me, oh great BV, for wanting something I was unsure of clarified for me so that I could understand the article a little better. :rolleyes:

As for the article, I really hope this will help us find cures to that which is considered 'uncurable' today. :)

13. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Perhaps if you couched your initial query and subsequent posts in terms that didn't involve the prolific use of roll-eyed sarcastic smilies, then maybe people would approach them a little differently.

As for the 'great' comment... not necessary at all. You're forgiven. ;)

14. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

You're probably right... :rolleyes:

JK. :D

It was necessary, IMO, because that is how you had come off to me. Aside from how I choose to express my thoughts, I feel as though you think that I shouldn't be able to say "hey, that doesn't make sense", yet you are free to get at me about saying that (which, IMO, is just as OT and unnecessary).

15. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Power means watts, or volts times amps. So does it use 1/15th the volts or amps?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

vamps. It uses 1/15 the vamps. Or volps. It's 1/15 the volps. No, no..

17. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I've got it, i've got it. Its 1/1000 X 1.21 jiggawatts. clear as day.

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Jiggawatts? Jigga what? ;)

19. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

well hes trying to say jigowatts (BTTF script spelling) which is the references from BTTF.

20. HughJ macrumors regular

was this posted in CURRENT events deliberatly?:eek:

21. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I think he meant Gigawatts.

You obviously haven't seen "Back to the Future" often enough... That's the whole point of the Delorean trying to connect to thunder strike ! Talk about the power of electricity... (or was it the power of love ?).

A. :D

Additional explanation:

A. :D

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson